Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: June is Gay Pride Month

I think it's awesome. They're taking what they've got and put it right the fuck out there in the faces of people that don't dig it. "Got a problem with gays? Well look how fucking gay I am, deal with it."

2. Re: Pride: It is my goal to walk up to a bunch of white guys and yell "WHITE POWER" and give' em the 'ol HH, just to see what they'd do. My suspicion is they'll return the HH for fear of not being in on the "black's guy joke."

In other news: Yay pride!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I still don't understand pride in ones ethnicity, sexual preference, or any other immovable aspect of a human being.
    It's not necessarily pride in those things in and of itself, but pride in things that were/are considered heretical, awful, disgusting, sinful, sub-human, etc, that are a part of who you are.

The hope is that 100-years later, no one will give a fuck about that.

4. Fair enough, it just seems kinda silly to need that. My Irish ancestors were treated like dogshit when they came to America. Fast-forward to today, and I couldn't care less about St. Patrick's Day or any other Irish bullshit. It means nothing to me. I'm American, no hypens, no crutches. And maybe that just validates your point, and others will get there eventually.

On the LGBT side of things, I'll try to think like a gay man for a moment (yes I know I'm leaving myself wide open there) (and I just did it again). If I were gay, and seeing the way so much of middle America was slowly but surely losing its bigotry, supporting marriage equality, accepting other sexualities as part of the mainstream, etc--I'm not so sure I'd be thrilled about parades full of guys in assess chaps and dog collars and the like. My sentiment would probably be to the effect of, "Guys, please, stop helping."
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Gay people were treated like dog shit yesterday. Things like this (that remind people that they are not the only homo out there) are important. IMO, anyway. What the fuck do I know?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Fair enough, it just seems kinda silly to need that. My Irish ancestors were treated like dogshit when they came to America. Fast-forward to today, and I couldn't care less about St. Patrick's Day or any other Irish bullshit. It means nothing to me. I'm American, no hypens, no crutches. And maybe that just validates your point, and others will get there eventually.
    You've proved my point. Now it's just a silly holiday. We're beyond that point. I can make fun of the Irish and no one thinks I actually hate the Irish.

On the LGBT side of things, I'll try to think like a gay man for a moment (yes I know I'm leaving myself wide open there) (and I just did it again). If I were gay, and seeing the way so much of middle America was slowly but surely losing its bigotry, supporting marriage equality, accepting other sexualities as part of the mainstream, etc--I'm not so sure I'd be thrilled about parades full of guys in assess chaps and dog collars and the like. My sentiment would probably be to the effect of, "Guys, please, stop helping."
    1) We're not there yet. We still have public speakers speculating whether Eliot Roger's non-existent latent homosexual urges were the cause of his murderous rampage, and Republic Party leaders wondering why people would do butt-stuff because it's "just disgusting" and "medically unsound." That shit's on national TV.
    2) Some in the gay community DO find the festivals over the top. They find other ways to show their pride.
    3) There will always be a generic white dood asking why he can't celebrate "his" pride. I was so happy when BET finally came to Canada. I was in high school, and now we finally had access to all the videos and music we weren't getting on our local music station. It always infuriated me when someone would ask why there wasn't a White Entertainment Channel.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 01 Jun 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I still don't understand pride in ones ethnicity, sexual preference, or any other immovable aspect of a human being.
    With minorities, it tends to be more like "isn't it fucking awesome me and everyone like me hasn't been subjugated, forced into hiding, or beaten to death?"

It would be nice if we had a word for exactly that. Maybe TGIND. Because honestly, being more specific would probably help whitey, straighty, or the man understand 'pride parades' better and instead of asking why they don't get a 'me too' parade. (The germans probably have a word for it, they have a word for everything else.)

IMO, most minority buzzwords are 'unfortunate' I wonder if the person that chose the word for 'feminism' knew how much strife they were putting on the shoulders of everyone after them? I'm sure feminist enjoy the the good ole "Feminism is about equality" "but why is the first word feminine?" discussion?

And everything to do with 'privilege.' I'm sure people enjoy explaining what that word means a million times.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 01 Jun 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    what that word
    The bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    3) There will always be a generic white dood asking why he can't celebrate "his" pride. I was so happy when BET finally came to Canada. I was in high school, and now we finally had access to all the videos and music we weren't getting on our local music station. It always infuriated me when someone would ask why there wasn't a White Entertainment Channel.
    I wouldn't call BET, a Black Entertainment Channel.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I wouldn't call BET, a Black Entertainment Channel.
    Oh you know what I mean!