Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Surface by Microsoft

1. Yeah, but at least it will make keyboard support universal. I'm sure there will be aftermarket keyboards that are far nicer.

2. The pen could make it a better portable digital sketchpad solution than the ipad.

That alone has me interested.

3. I'm looking forward to this. Haven't bought a tablet yet and even though the Win8 talk is scary, I really do love my windows phone and hope surface will be a real competitor in the tablet market.

4. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. The article seems to conveniently forget the whole "Xbox" thing. Not defending them, but the article was very one-sided.

6. Yeah, that's a bad article and the writer should feel bad. Every company has successes and failures, but at least this tablet has the potential for an interesting future. Win8 is going to be a PC disaster, but from all I hear (no direct experience) it's great on touch screen. Staying out of the "walled garden" (aside from the 360, obviously) market is simply a point in their favor. The writer even admits they're making record profits, but it's all going to come crashing down because he says so.

Apple has some very bad years in its future, too. Not next year or the year after, of course, but they're coming. Better sell now.

James

7. How does Xbox figure into this? That platform has been around for 11 years. It was a failure for about 6-7 out of 11. It was treading water for 2-3, and has been pretty successful for 2. While MS was busy plowing billions into that platform, Apple destroyed them in music players, phones, and tablets. I don't think the Xbox story is actually a *good* one here, nor is it proof of Microsoft's acumen.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Staying out of the "walled garden" (aside from the 360, obviously) market is simply a point in their favor.
    What? WindowsRT is a locked down platform.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 19 Jun 2012 at 07:26 PM.

The Xbox is a dinosaur lumbering about during the Cretaceous period. Its days and the days of its relatives are numbered.

9. The future of gaming consoles is a different thread entirely, but I doubt they'll be going away any time soon. They'll evolve, sure, and the current business model is going to have to change, but they'll be around.

Next up, reading about WindowsRT. The article said MS wasn't doing that so I took it at its word.

James

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The Xbox is a dinosaur lumbering about during the Cretaceous period. Its days and the days of its relatives are numbered.
    Probably true, but my point is that I don't think you can call the Xbox one of MS' big successes. Even today, yea it's making money (I think? The ESD division posted a loss last quarter) but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to Windows & Office. That is still what drives that company.