Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Surface by Microsoft

I agree. I was typing my earlier post before I saw yours. I was responding to Changeling.

And Windows is finally being realistically threatened, especially by the BYOD policies of an increasing number of corporations that were always a stronghold of Windows.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The Xbox is a dinosaur lumbering about during the Cretaceous period. Its days and the days of its relatives are numbered.
    Maybe for us, but defintely not for the masses.

3. No, the masses are bored with it too. Sales down 40% in May (y/y) and 20% in April.

4. And you're sure that's A) Not a trend across all 3 consoles and B) Not because people were hoping for price drops from E3? (The masses do know that a special event happens where magic like that occurs since they know people like you and me).

5. It is a trend across all 3 consoles. Considering there was no price drop, do you expect some huge groundswell of support for any system? Do you think there's large pent-up demand for 6-7 year old consoles?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    During the GM case-study (where the author argues that the car-maker's intransigence and unwillingness to foster and attract creativity led to its demise in 2009, opening the door for Japanese and European car markers), I kept thinking, what the hell were the Japanese and European car-marker's management strategies? Was their approach radically different?

This article does a better job at proving your point (if you had one).

7. In the 1970's GM didn't account for the fact that people may not want to drive their big boats if gas prices went up. And then they made the same mistake in the mid-2000's when gas prices went up again. Except this time it was SUVs.

Honestly? it's not that hard to apply that lesson to MS. They have been set in their ways since Windows 95. They got away with missing the internet, mainly by leveraging their monopoly powers. But they've been caught flat-footed by Apple again and again the past decade because they are stuck in this idea that people need a Wintel box hooked up to a monitor on a desk. It seems like they finally realized this, but we'll see.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 19 Jun 2012 at 08:33 PM.

8. I like how it looks, but I'd really need to get my hands on it to see how well it works. The case keyboard is a great idea and they say it works really well, but it's hard to believe.

9. This reminds me of when I bought that Windows phone. I had it for all of one day. I loved the interface (it is so beautiful), loved the way it felt. The thing is, it did nothing better than the iPhone, had little support and (at the time) cost the exact same as an iPhone. I've given support to relatively unsuccessful (old school) consoles (Dreamcast, TG-16, Saturn) because they were contained experiences that offered something special/of value to me. But products like these inherently require continual support. Like the Zune (another Microsoft product I would have loved to own), I can't throw down a shit ton of money on a beautiful product that requires a non-exist/lackluster eco-system to work properly when I have an alternative available that's already an industry standard.

Sad bit: The Zune came how many years ago and there's still no official* way to use it on a Mac. You can use the Zune HD and Windows phone, but you need Snow Leopard (which, hilariously, I don't have yet).
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 19 Jun 2012 at 08:54 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    In the 1970's GM didn't account for the fact that people may not want to drive their big boats if gas prices went up. And then they made the same mistake in the mid-2000's when gas prices went up again. Except this time it was SUVs.

Honestly? it's not that hard to apply that lesson to MS. They have been set in their ways since Windows 95. They got away with missing the internet, mainly by leveraging their monopoly powers. But they've been caught flat-footed by Apple again and again the past decade because they are stuck in this idea that people need a Wintel box hooked up to a monitor on a desk. It seems like they finally realized this, but we'll see.
    I think his specific argument was more about how they pushed away creativity rather than attracted it. When you push away creative people/exert control, you fail. When you attract creativity, you win. So I was curious if the other companies attracted/controlled. Your argument is correct, but that wasn't the crux of his specific argument. Apple "controls" as well. It doesn't foster creativity either, as everyone who's read Steve Jobs knows all too well.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 19 Jun 2012 at 09:04 PM.