Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Your Ass to Mars! (For Real)

1. Get Your Ass to Mars! (For Real)

It's one-way though.

http://mars-one.com/en/
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

An actual settlement in 11 years? That's pretty ambitious. I'm calling BS.

3. I have heard multiple times over the past year or so that a mission to Mars is absolutely possible right now if it's a 1 way trip with a TBD possibly not in your lifetime return date.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

4. On one hand, I'm sad because the US used to lead the way in space, and now NASA is at the mercy of Putin's kindness. I know that SpaceX is an American company, but this project has an international flavor I don't care for.

On the other hand, I love how the private sector has stepped up and offset the wages of federal ineptitude. Score one for Ms. Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I have heard multiple times over the past year or so that a mission to Mars is absolutely possible right now if it's a 1 way trip with a TBD possibly not in your lifetime return date.
    I've read lots of articles in the affirmative. So long as the astronauts have no problem saying goodbye forever to everyone they know, the technology and means are already in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. You can print tools nowadays and soon food (Star Trek style, just not as fancy). Soon we'll just have to send them raw elements and they can do whatever the fuck they want with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    On the other hand, I love how the private sector has stepped up and offset the wages of federal ineptitude. Score one for Ms. Rand.
    Eh. SpaceX is subsidized by NASA. If NASA was defunded tomorrow then SpaceX would be out of business on Friday.

The private sector needs to step up on this because Congress has treated NASA like shit for thirty years. The problem is that something like a mission to Mars or moon colony is a long-term project and Congress needs votes every 2 years.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Eh. SpaceX is subsidized by NASA. If NASA was defunded tomorrow then SpaceX would be out of business on Friday.

The private sector needs to step up on this because Congress has treated NASA like shit for thirty years. The problem is that something like a mission to Mars or moon colony is a long-term project and Congress needs votes every 2 years.
    I was under the impression that SpaceX has contracts with NASA for specific projects, but I hadn't heard that they receive subsidies. I'll have to read up on that.

It really is a shame what has become of NASA. The return on investment from that agency has been unreal, and it was a rare example of federal government done right. In a rational world, we would dissolve DHS (redundant), TSA (worthless), and a few others, and spend that money on our space program.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. 3D printers are just going to kill manufacturing.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I was under the impression that SpaceX has contracts with NASA for specific projects, but I hadn't heard that they receive subsidies. I'll have to read up on that.
    Well, NASA provided subsidies to SpaceX and some other companies to get their work going. And they will continue to do so. And they are, as far as I know, SpaceX's only contract at the moment. So, clearly, SpaceX is highly dependent on American taxpayers at the moment. Which I am fine with. As you said, the space program has given us so much that it's a downright crime that Congress has let it fall into neglect the past 30 years.

More broadly, this is the sort of government funding that liberals are in favor of. The private space industry really cannot do it without a funding source like the government that is able to take a medium-to-long term view of the project without demanding short-term returns. You can say this about many, many other projects in our history (the interstate highway system, the internet, etc.).

Of course, when the government gets involved in that sort of funding, sometimes it doesn't work out. Not every space company NASA contracts with is going to pan out. If every instance of failure is used to score political points, it just won't get done. And that is worse than the alternative IMO.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    3D printers are just going to kill manufacturing.
    Some blood is already on 3D printers' hands.

They helped kill Resident Evil Code Veronica.