Thread: Ranma 1/2 (Super Famicom): Impressions?

1. Ranma 1/2 (Super Famicom): Impressions?

I spotted the import release at the shop today for about $25, boxed and complete.

Is this a good game? Is it at the very least an amusing one? Is $25 too much?

I've got some trade credit to spare, so I might pick it up if it's any good.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Cutty Guest
    Hey sleeve,
    I played a Ranma 1/2 SFC game back in the day, when it first came out. It was a fighting game, and it struck me as very crappy, almost as bad as SNES World Heroes. If you're a big fan of the series, it might be worth getting because I remember the art being quite good (although poorly animated).
    But I think there might be more than one SFC Ranma 1/2 game.

3. Yeah, this one was a fighting game. Was there more than one? Hm.

The backgrounds and characters looked pretty nice, that's for sure.

Thanks for the impressions, Cutty. Always nice to see you around these parts.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

There are 3 Ranma 1/2 fighting games for SFC. The first was brought here butchered as Street Combat. The second might have come out domestically or at least it was supposed to, unaltered. The third did not come out here.

5. I have a Ranma 1/2 VHS (I used to watch anime, terrible ones at that) and there was a little preview/promotion for a Super Nintendo Ranma 1/2 fighting game, with no mention of any name change. I also recall GamePro doing a review of the same game so I suppose the second one did get released unaltered.

6. i played the ranma fighting game (the one that was released over here).

I guess it was alright. I remember it having the split screen windows a la dragon ball z.

i had fun, (just keep in mind I was a little kid) and pretty much button mashed the whole time I played.

Would I spend 20 bucks on it?

probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

7. the third game in the series is supposed to be ok. I've played the first two, and they are not. the third one has ranma in a tough pose with red and black lines behind him on the box.

hell. . . I can't say much.

don't bother with the first two.

here's a review of the third:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~uw7g-bwr...sb/ranmasb.htm

8. If I remember correctly I rented Hard Battle from Blockbuster back in the day. I liked it, but only because I was a big ranma mark back in the day.

9. Originally posted by Cutty
    Hey sleeve,
    I played a Ranma 1/2 SFC game back in the day, when it first came out. It was a fighting game, and it struck me as very crappy, almost as bad as SNES World Heroes. If you're a big fan of the series, it might be worth getting because I remember the art being quite good (although poorly animated).
    But I think there might be more than one SFC Ranma 1/2 game.
    Cutty! Wow! It's been a while! How's the Melee Island Bar mod coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.