Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Laptop

1. Restoring a Laptop

I've had this laptop for over five years. It doesn't have any fatal errors or anything, but it does run slower than it used to. I have run CCleaner, Superantispyware, malwarebytes, and use Avast for antivirus. I occasionally find a few tracking bugs, but nothing serious since the google redirect virus from a year ago.
    Maybe it's all in my head, but whatever. I want to wipe it clean and start over. Basically, what do I have to do? I didn't get a boot disc with it, so if I have to make one (I have Vista) how do I do that. I tried googling. I'm confused. I need the steps to be presented in the most basic of terms because I'm shit at this kind of thing.
    If you can help, or can point me to a step by step guide, I appreciate it.
    It's a toshiba and it came pre installed with a bunch of crap that I don't want, so I don't want to just do a factory restore. I want to start from scratch.

2. Put in the windows disc and boot from it?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I didn't get a boot disc with it, so if I have to make one (I have Vista) how do I do that.

4. Download the windows disc from anywhere, burn it and boot from it?

5. Your Vista copy is a real disc right? It should be bootable. Just have to make sure that your BIOS boots from disc before HD.

if it's a OEM restore disk, you might want to check the Toshiba website because YMMV. Often it is as simple as format c:, boot from that disk, install, uninstall junk
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 06 Jul 2012 at 02:19 PM.

6. Download the latest install disc, which I believe is SP2, and write it to a disc.
    Boot from that disc, delete all partitions, then just install in the empty space.

7. I HAVE NO DISC.
    I have the vista product key on the bottom of the laptop.

8. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Download the windows disc from anywhere, burn it and boot from it

9. Oh, zero discs at all

Make sure you get the exact version of Vista when you make a disc. It should install fine but might not activate. You might have to call on that one.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 06 Jul 2012 at 02:34 PM.

10. Yeah, you might have to call but it's automated and really quite painless.