Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing You Wanted So Bad When You Were a Youngster

1. The Thing You Wanted So Bad When You Were a Youngster

Aside from the obvious (various video games systems and games), I would have done anything for a real stereo. Like, a legit piece of musical machinery with a turntable and pre-amp. Separate components. A working equalizer. I'd stare at pictures like the one above for hours. I'd draw pictures of mixers and turntables in my notebooks. To me, having one was a symbol of adulthood.

What about you guys? What was that thing you just had to have as a kid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	technology-80s-eighties-27.jpeg 
Views:	413 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	66433  

I wanted a real life Johnny Five. A Galapagos Turtle. A power wheel. To go to Disneyworld and/or nick studios (will never happen now). A scotty dog.

Toy grails were like Trypticon and Scorponok. There was just something so cool about those toys when I was 5

Kinda wanted the T-Rex and Bronto Dino-rider toys but I grew out of that.

Oh, I wanted a real ED-209 too. I'd watch his part of Robocop over and over again

I got Scorponok for my birthday at some point. I don't remember wanting Trypticon, so maybe that was after I stopped collecting. I had Fortress Maximus though! I wanted a Neo Geo. I finally got it in 1996, though it was the CD version at that point.

Scorponok is one of those weird made for TV moments in my life. My mom promised me one if I was really good for my booster shot. Well, they stuck me, and it hurt like hell and I freaked out and bent the needled and they ended up having to put me in one of those papoose strap down things.

Yeah. I didn't get that Scorponok.

EDIT: Googled it. It came out in 87. I'd been 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 21 Jul 2012 at 09:51 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I got Scorponok for my birthday at some point. I don't remember wanting Trypticon, so maybe that was after I stopped collecting. I had Fortress Maximus though! I wanted a Neo Geo. I finally got it in 1996, though it was the CD version at that point.
    I had a stupid red truck I just pretended was Optimus in non-transforming mode. Poverty, folks. Use your imagination!

I wasn't really poor, per se.

Edit: Btw., how did you feel when you finally got the Neo•Geo?
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 21 Jul 2012 at 11:21 PM.

We didn't have much, but my parents were good about getting me that ONE THING at Christmas, even if it was the one and only present I got for 6 months. Or, if it was gaming related, I would buy it myself in adulthood.

*edit*

Actually, there was one thing I always wanted but never got as a kid, and that was a computer. My family couldn't afford one, and the pricing was so high that saving or getting the parents to combine birthday and Christmas presents was out of the question. They did eventually get me one when I was 15 or 16, which, in retrospect, was probably for the best. I'm not even sure what a kid me would have done with a computer pre-internet. I wouldn't even have been able to game since there weren't any stores that sold computer games in my town until around the time Windows 95 came out.
    Last edited by GohanX; 21 Jul 2012 at 10:24 PM.

8. I really wanted a summer home in Maine. On my tenth birthday, my parents delivered.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

I can can barely contain the "your mom" joke!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

10. Your mom doex the can can. But that shoudnt surprise you. She does it all.