Page 62 of 97 FirstFirst ... 485860616263646676 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis: The Superior Versions

On a whim I picked up one of Hyperkin's 6 button controller knockoffs:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Genes...sis+controller

The official pads are hard to come by in good shape these days, and I'm always afraid that old faithful is gonna give out on me. For $13, I thought I'd give it a shot, not really expecting much from a Chinese made clone. I'm pleasantly surprised. The shape is identical to the original Sega pad, so it feels good in the hands. The buttons and dpad are a bit stiffer, but once you get used to that the pad works quite well. It's not as good as the original but it's the best Genesis third party pad I've ever used and I prefer it to the 3 button pad.

2. I might check this out. Thanks man.

3. I'm surprised they didn't try to throw in some kind of USB connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

There is a usb version. I wonder if they use the same pcb...

5. Seems like they could have had it do double-duty for cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Yup, and if that's the case, I could put a tiny mini usb port on it. I'll have to open it up and see.

7. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    On a whim I picked up one of Hyperkin's 6 button controller knockoffs:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Genes...sis+controller

The official pads are hard to come by in good shape these days, and I'm always afraid that old faithful is gonna give out on me. For $13, I thought I'd give it a shot, not really expecting much from a Chinese made clone. I'm pleasantly surprised. The shape is identical to the original Sega pad, so it feels good in the hands. The buttons and dpad are a bit stiffer, but once you get used to that the pad works quite well. It's not as good as the original but it's the best Genesis third party pad I've ever used and I prefer it to the 3 button pad.
    The MK-1653 is my favorite Sega controller. One of mine has a nonfunctioning PCB. Can I directly swap the PCB for that into my controller and take advantage of the OEM parts?

Probably, but I'd need to take them both apart to check, there may be some minor variance. I tried that once with the official USB Saturn pads and although they were extremely similar they couldn't be directly swapped. I might try it a little later if I have some time.

9. The same guy (gasega68k) who got Wolfenstein 3D running on the stock Genesis is now working on F-Zero. This is a VERY early port, but it shows what can be done with just software and the machine. No special chips, no hardware effects - just badass programming. This video has a Genesis remix of Mute City too!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The same guy (gasega68k) who got Wolfenstein 3D running on the stock Genesis is now working on F-Zero. This is a VERY early port, but it shows what can be done with just software and the machine. No special chips, no hardware effects - just badass programming. This video has a Genesis remix of Mute City too!

Incredible. So much power in the Genesis... which unfortunately a lot of Sega's developers failed to tap.

And if they did? Sega probably could've done Last Survivor and Power Drift. Also I'm sure there'd be a better Galaxy Force II and After Burner III than the LAME rubbish excuses we got from CRI. As things are, the 4 Mb cart version of AB II shames its CD sequel graphically. I think many commercial Genesis game developers were truly unaware of how much power they could squeeze out, or just didn't try.

Gasega68k said that a complete Wolf3D will fit in a 16-24 Mb cart.