Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 465658596061626474 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis: The Superior Versions

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    What is it about having a Y in your name that makes you so wrong, so much?

That's great when it doesn't have sound effects thrown into the mix. I prefer the larger sprites of the Genesis version, but I feel that the SNES version has far superior sound.

2. Yeah, the music's great and everything but when the voice samples on top of it are worse than dubstep in a woodchipper it doesn't really count for anything anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXDUs89OMU#t=324

If you can get through five minutes of this at high volume, I hate you and you're still wrong. You ol' so and so.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 16 Sep 2014 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I prefer the larger sprites of the Genesis version, but I feel that the SNES version has far superior sound.
    The sprites are identical.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The sprites are identical.
    The SNES version has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. What's odd, is that SSFII for the Genesis has the black bars, while the SNES version doesn't.
    Last edited by gamevet; 16 Sep 2014 at 08:37 AM.

5. I just checked my copy, and SNES SSF2 has the bars, too. All the 16bit console ports do, I believe.
    You feeling okay?

One thing that is weird is that the letterboxing is off centre, with the top bar being larger. I only recently learned that this is because Capcom centred the game on a 240 pixel tall screen mode even though the SNES only outputs 224 horizontal lines.
    Last edited by kedawa; 16 Sep 2014 at 01:35 PM.

6. CPS1/2 games are kind of on a widescreen ratio to start with, what's the problem again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. SNES SF2 music sounds so shitty

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I just checked my copy, and SNES SSF2 has the bars, too. All the 16bit console ports do, I believe.
    You feeling okay?

One thing that is weird is that the letterboxing is off centre, with the top bar being larger. I only recently learned that this is because Capcom centred the game on a 240 pixel tall screen mode even though the SNES only outputs 224 horizontal lines.
    I can only rely on Youtube for the comparisons of SSFII for the SNES and Genesis. I'd bought the game on the Saturn and Playstation through the Capcom collections, and they weren't as expensive as the cart based versions.

I do have Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES) and Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (Genesis). The Genesis game does not have the black bars like the SNES game has.

Quote Originally Posted by sixteen-bit View Post
    SNES SF2 music sounds so shitty
    It's a hell of a lot better than the broken soundtrack for the Genesis. The Genesis version has horrible timing, missing track layers and track layers dropping off every time you have a hit sound. I actually like the more realistic instrument sounds of the SNES version, to that of the arcade game.

Last edited by gamevet; 16 Sep 2014 at 11:27 PM.

9. I'm looking at SFII:SCE right now and it has them black bars.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    CPS1/2 games are kind of on a widescreen ratio to start with, what's the problem again?
    Not really. They have a weird 12:7 pixel aspect ratio, but they've always been designed for 4:3 monitors. They do look nice in widescreen, though.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I'm looking at SFII:SCE right now and it has them black bars.
    http://www.gamefabrique.com/games/st...mpion-edition/

Quote Originally Posted by gamefabrique
    EVERY single detail from the Super NES version is here. Even the tricks from TCE are here as regular options, like the 10 speeds. The black bar from the first Genesis version has been worked out and the characters enlarged. This is bound to be one of the best games yet!
    I'll have to dust off the old Genesis, but I don't recall the black bars being quite as obvious as the SNES version. The gameplay seemed slightly smoother, but the music and sound left a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by gamevet; 17 Sep 2014 at 12:26 AM.