Page 88 of 97 FirstFirst ... 7484868788899092 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis: The Superior Versions

1. Life Force was too easy (at least to my teenage self).

Exactly, it was like Sega didn't realize you had to modify the experience for a home port until Shinobi. It's nice to want to bring the arcade hits home but you can end up with a better game a la Capcom and Konami with some tweaks.

For 3d view stuff like Space Harrier and Hang on, Sega tried to squeeze arcade games into 8-bit hardware (Enduro Racer was an exception) but for 2d games, I don't think they were behind Konami and Capcom in customizing for console. SG-1000 Congo Bongo was altered like that. I think the upped speed and physics tweaks make SMS Choplifter better than the arcade. Action Fighter was re-designed quite a bit to suit the hardware. Quartet is totally different on SMS. Wonder Boy in Monster Land has improved controls.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 17 Mar 2018 at 10:08 AM.

4. I had a Commodore 64 traded in not too long ago with a bunch of disks. Choplifter was among them.
    The only version I've ever played was the SMS version, so when I tried playing it on C-64 it almost felt like a different game. I really didn't care for the "press button to fire, hold button to turn" mechanic on top of the sluggish pace.
    It helped solidify my opinion that I have no time for games squeezed down to one button. I'd like to meet anyone that thought C-64 Contra was a fun experience, for example.

I liked C64 Contra (Gryzor) but I got used to quickly tapping the space bar and this was a bit before I played the NES version. But yeah, it's still annoying and the C64 wasn't great for late '80s arcade ports because of the button limitations. It was great for earlier stuff like Donkey Kong and Zaxxon.

6. I have a friend that STRONGLY prefers the Atari 8 bits vs the Commodore because (according to him) the older atari computer has a bunch of arcade ports that do fine with the single button whereas the C64 has a bunch of nintendo era games that were designed around two buttons.

I'll never understand why the Amiga was a one button machine.

7. It actually wasn't. Most games were just coded to only use one button because that's the type of joystick most people used.
    The Amiga could actually support up to three buttons, and there are some games that supported two buttons, like R-Type II, BC Kid, and Super SF2, which I played with SMS and Genesis pads.

Some later games even supported CD32 controllers, which have six buttons plus start, but even the CD32 itself had very few games that used more than one button.
    Last edited by kedawa; 17 Mar 2018 at 10:51 PM.

8. Being a cd32 owner, I am aware.
    Bear in mind, I like 3do, cdi, and a game or two on Jag.
    CD32 is a piece of shit. Its controller is a piece of shit. Eff that system.
    In negotiations to sell mine.

9. Yeah, it's probably the worst AGA Amiga machine, especially if it's the NTSC version(that's what I have), but it's nice being able to play a thousand Amiga games on real hardware with just a few CD-Rs.

The controller isn't great, but it's better than the ones for the Jaguar and some models of 3DO. I have one of the Honeybee controllers that looks like a Genesis pad, and it's pretty good.

At some point I would like to either get rid of it, or invest in some kind of expansion to make it more like a proper A1200, but for now it's just sitting in a box.

10. I could have had an SX-1 for $75 but felt like that was too much. Now it’s like 5x that for one.
    There was another expansion that did the same thing but was supposed to be better than the sx-1 but I can’t remember what it wax called.