Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis: The Superior Versions

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    ... Street Fighter II (fuck anyone who claims playing that on a dogbone is worth better colors).
    You're not even trying to be objective.

Although the stock Super NES controllers were perfectly fine, there were also third party controllers that had six face buttons.

The next time I am in the market for "perfectly fine," I'll be sure to shop Nintendo.

3. You do know that when SF2 CE launched the pack in controller on the genesis was a 3 button right?

Third party 6 button pads were required on both systems.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

I know what you meant, but Sega's six button, which might be the second best 2D controller ever, was hardly third party.

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post

Six buttons right out of the box > buying two extra controllers, sorry dogg.
    Straight up. Better sound. I love the Genny, too, but if I'm given a choice of what Street Fighter to play, it will always be the Super NES version.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    None of the Streets of Rage games are better than the first Final Fight.
    Edit: I don't know. I used to love Final Fight, but for whatever reason, I just don't find it as fun now. It seems stale.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 01 Aug 2012 at 06:22 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by TrialSword View Post
    I found that one thing in common with many of these titles is how great the music is. When used correctly I always believed the SNES couldn't lay a finger on the Genesis in terms of sound.
    Please tell me how Merzbow is a musical genius as well. Genesis sound. Man. You know how there's just some art work that's like, "That guy just welded some ugly shit together"?
    Donk

8. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Please tell me how Merzbow is a musical genius as well. Genesis sound. Man. You know how there's just some art work that's like, "That guy just welded some ugly shit together"?
    Plok. That's all imma say. Dat sound chip.

9. It all comes back to Plok. And B.O.B.
    Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Amusingly, that's almost exactly how some composers worked with FM - they'd generate random sounds and just pick out the ones they liked the most.

Of course, the good ones (Tommy Tallarico, Jesper Kyd, Chris Huelsbeck, Hitoshi Sakimoto, etc) knew exactly what they were doing. And the results show. These days, I'd much rather listen to rockin' Genesis synth than farting SNES trumpets.

Speaking of which! Gauntlet IV is the single best 2D game in that series. It contains a nearly arcade perfect version of Gauntlet II (that I suspect includes a great deal of the original arcade code) as well as an amazing quest mode that has you go through four different towers with ridiculously complex layouts that require you to solve puzzles and go up and down floors to access different areas. And the music is amazing.

The Tengen version of Marble Madness (released in Japan and NOT to be confused with the Electronic Arts version released here) is also another example of a fantastic home port. It even supports the mouse!