Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4252545556575860 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Sale, Flea Market, Used Game Store Finds and Locations

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    are we going to live long enough to see commercial disk rot to the point that they don't work?
    Yes. Ask laser disc collectors.

That shits scares me. I don't want to sell my Panzer Dragoon Saga but maybe it's the best thing to do in the long run.

3. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Yes. Ask laser disc collectors.
    Or as I am just discovering, hd dvds!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    That shits scares me. I don't want to sell my Panzer Dragoon Saga but maybe it's the best thing to do in the long run.
    It would not surprise me if in 20-30 years, you have to start packing a playable cd r with the actual disk. Or if the disks become worthless and the case/manual get to be whats worth the money during resell.

This is really glorious for people like me and Josh. Forever medium, my ass. Vinyl is actually going to last longer, despite the fact that it degrades a certain % with every play.

Its even more delicious that carts and consoles are starting to have to be recapped like old tube amps (I'm looking at you, game gear).

Thank god for piracy. If we didn't dump an .iso of every game they wouldn't exist someday.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26
    It would not surprise me if in 20-30 years, you have to start packing a playable cd r with the actual disk.
    If you can find blank CD-Rs 20 years from now. Do they even still sell them in regular stores now or is it all DVD-Rs?

Giving everyone in a fandom the potential to own it is the only way to preserve anything indefinitely. It must be constantly refreshed from within the zeitgeist. Made part of life itself.

Otherwise, it will rot away like all things physical.

The only real problem is that the zeitgeist changes and things will not be viewed exactly as they were. You know, kind of like the bible?

But being viewed off of center is better than something not being viewed at all.

Better our great great great grand kids play Mario and see what we enjoyed and have no immediate perspective on plumbers, Italians or the industry at the time versus not playing it at all and gaining zero insight in that which came before them.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 04 Aug 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    If you can find blank CD-Rs 20 years from now. Do they even still sell them in regular stores now or is it all DVD-Rs?
    if someone still makes new record sleeves, someone will make new cd-rs. It might be from a busted old machine in shit hole north Africa, but someone will do it.

The bigger question is will anyone make a cd r burner that will work with the newest OS at the time? Or will cd/dvd burners and the parts to fix them become a new thing? Are the easiest to fix going to jump in price and 75 year old SSJN is going to be scouring salvation armies to find old shitty PCs for resell?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Better our great great great grand kids play Mario and see what we enjoyed and have no immediate perspective on plumbers, Italians or the industry at the time versus not playing it at all and gaining zero insight in that which came before them.
    Pipes will cease to clog and Italians will become extinct within the next five generations? Can you tell me more about this utopia?

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Pipes will cease to clog and Italians will become extinct within the next five generations? Can you tell me more about this utopia?

Let me ask you something, ARBM, is there anything in the actual game of Mario about who mario is? That he is Italian? That he is a plumber? Do plumbers wear overalls anymore?

And do you think the political correct kids of the future will know they are looking at an Italian stereotype as quickly as we did? We all came at this game right before PCness really got full swing.

Kids 50, 100 years from now will not come at Mario from the same place we did. All things are like this. Where we came at the game and just kind of knew we were playing an Italian plumber, future kids will probably think they're just playing a little jumping dude until they do some research.

Perspective changes with time. We may still have plumbers, but what kid's identify as a plumber probably won't be the same as a 100 years from now. Much like a chamber pot wouldn't like a toilet to us.