Page 1 of 70 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage Sale, Flea Market, Used Game Store Finds and Locations

Garage Sale, Flea Market, Used Game Store Finds and Locations

Since TNL has been on a pretty big retro kick lately I thought we could have a thread where we can share stories about the dumb old crap we're buying.

I've recently got it into my head that I need to hit up every garage sale I see to find used video games that might be worth a shit. So far nothing, but I know there are tons of games locked up in attics and basements that people would give away for a steal. I'm gonna start going door to door.

I've also planned out a considerable circuit of flea markets and local used game shops to hit up in Chicago over the weekend. It's going to be pretty awful and disappointing but I'm gonna do it anyway! The goal is to find at least one good old game I want to play, or something I can sell for money so I can buy the games I want to play from horrible people on eBay.

As far as Chicago is concerned, the Ashland Swap-o-Rama sounds like the place to be for a flea market fix. There's also a cluster of used games stores in the city within the same area like People Play Games, Old School Game Vault and the Exchange that I've never been to. It's my experience though that most of the dudes running these places (and even flea markets these days) tend to price carts on the high side =/

Anyone in or near Chicago ever been to these places?

I'd love to hear about people's local stores as well, I know Chux and Yoshi have been out and about lately.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I started my kick from a craigslist post for a Yard Sale that said they'd have all old consoles. In retrospect I should have picked up a SNES while I was there because she was selling them for way under internet prices. This lady had no less than 10 of every console from Intellivision to last gen. Grabbed a few off of eBay and went back to dealing with the seedy underworld (craigslist). Met this dude who had a bunch of games (got MM3 and a few other games from him for $3) who then told me if I was interested, this guy had a stack o' games of all systems at a local flea market.

A few weekends later I had a Saturday off so I went to said flea market with my trusty Brettmatic and found the motherlode. Any game I wanted from these crates that must have had over 2k games for $5. Even got a dogbone from him for $5. Brett almost got a complete TG-16 with Keith Courage.

Here is a thread on NintendoAge where people get salty for blowing up local spots. I however love it.
    Last edited by Chux; 10 Aug 2012 at 09:33 AM.

btw, put this PriceCharting site on your phone if you're ever going near a stack of cheap games, you never know what you'll be able to sell of at a profit. That website seems to be pretty close to accurate going by the shit I've been looking through on eBay and Amazon over the past few weeks.

We should be helping a buddy out and keeping a lookout for good deals on games we want, so feel free to make up a list so we can keep games in mind when we're out.

I haven't really been keeping an eye on Craig's List because I don't want to be raped and mugged. I guess I can drag John along for protection if any deals sound good.
    Last edited by Mzo; 10 Aug 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    My Backloggery

4. Cool thread Mzo. I have a local place that has a shit-ton of stuff from Atari 2600 up to current. I've bought DC stuff there before at cheap prices( Tech Romancer and Project Justice for 20). Problem is that they have alot of boxed NES, SNES, etc all stacked up against a window that gets pounded by sunlight so the top flaps are sun-bleached. Other problem with the place is that its almost impossible to catch it actually open. Maybe Saturdays. I'll go up there and take pics and make note of anything rare.

5. I don't have time to play new games let alone old ones.

New games run like 15 hours! You can usually beat and old game in like 4 or 5. They are rad, diff!
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    helping a buddy out
    Yes!
    I haven't really been keeping an eye on Craig's List because I don't want to be raped and mugged. I guess I can drag John along for protection if any deals sound good.
    I tend to wear my suit since I'm just getting off work, it puts people off when they meet me, I love it.

Also I always get asked if I'm a fed when I go to flea markets after work in my suit.

LA MIGRA
    My Backloggery

9. FEDARALES, FEDARALES!! VAMANOS!

On Sunday Vasteel, Yoshi and I were headed to Lost Ark in Greensboro, but as Yoshi stated in his blog post they were oddly closed on Sunday. We went to Mckay's used books (and more!) Instead. They have games, but mostly newer stuff, but we didn't have anything better to do after eating burned burgers.

We spent a good amount of time mocking their "rare" games that were priced the same as high Ebay BINs, and marvelled at a sealed Game Gear Sonic 2. Where the fuck did that come from?

They did have a stack of NES games in a cabinet. Nothing rare and exciting, but a solid amound of common titles at fair prices. I got the lady to open the cabinet and I started grabbing..

I don't even remember what all I got. I remember Gyruss (which is cool as hell) Section Z, Dynowarz, Cobra Triangle, Solar Jetman, and a few others that I forget but I've heard them mentioned in the NES thread. Total was $20.

Vasteel picked up a few DC DVDs, and he paid more than I did for my NES pile.