Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch ONLY)

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (Switch ONLY)

I'm pretty surprised this is coming over, I'll definitely be getting it.

I'm also surprised that they aren't bringing out the 3ds version- since it is basically 100% done, from the translation here, and XX on 3ds in Japan. What a strange decision.

I'm guessing that there will be a small group of players who go from World as their first game to this, and will be totally shocked at how much less forgiving the game is (interface and gameplay). But maybe they're banking that anyone with a Switch and PS4/XB will know what they're getting into.

It's coming end of August which is pretty soon! Might be time to go back to Gen and try to finish some more of those deviants for the save import.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

2. Great, now I have to steal the Switch from my kids.

3. Yeah, this surprised me too. But then I was also surprised what an enormous hit MHW turned out to be: Capcom's biggest selling title ever, by far. Put them together and I guess it isn't quite as surprising.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Quote Originally Posted by Darmonde View Post
    I'm guessing that there will be a small group of players who go from World as their first game to this, and will be totally shocked at how much less forgiving the game is (interface and gameplay). But maybe they're banking that anyone with a Switch and PS4/XB will know what they're getting into.
    Yikes. MHW was my first, and that learning curve was STEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Yikes. MHW was my first, and that learning curve was STEEP.
    The combat in MH is king, and that will still feel really familiar. I'm sure you would still love it. But that said there's a laundry list of things of things you endure, because Monster Hunter. It's a lot of small things but they definitely add up.. here are a few!

-whetstones, pickaxes, and bugnets take up room in your item bag. Need to be bought or crafted and can break.
    -Gathering is a LOT slower. You don't run by and swipe a few herbs, you dig around and grab them 1 at a time (plants and bugs are like mining in MHW)
    -Armor skills are a lot less intuitive. They give for example 2/10 for a certain skill, and all your armor needs to add up to the 10/10 threshold to activate the skill. If you're 9/10, you have nothing! Full sets are more common early on as they usually add up skills nicely.
    -no switching items/weapons/eating after starting a quest, so you have to make sure you bring everything you need. But not too much! Bag space is at a premium because everything you carve or pick up goes in the same bag as the rest of your items (at the end of the hunt when the timer is ticking down, you might need to panic discard your stack of whetstones or some ore you mined to keep that plate you just carved)
    -progression through the ranks is really vague (huge list of quests in a rank, you have to do a subset to move on but they don't tell you which)
    -in GENERAL the fights are less fluid. This is a lot of opinion but you are locked into animations a bit more, and you stand still when using items, so you're really aware of the turn you're taking (monster doing this animation/attack, I have time to stand still and heal now without getting murdered)

I love Monster Hunter, excited.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

6. Having the enjoyable part of gameplay gated off by tedious fetching and crafting seems like something that would be really annoying.

You're probably more right than wrong. I was just trying to give Jed a bit of fair warning, IMO preparation and planning has always been a big part of the series, and it's more prominent in the previous entries. Some people really like putting in the work for the results.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

Really happy I decided to pass on those copies of XX for us when I was in Japan. Day one!

9. Hey, if you don't want to mess around with all the pre-MHW grind then you can play as a palico! Prowlers are lots of fun, I kinda miss not having them in MHW.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

10. I've enjoyed the hell out of MHW, I still play daily so I'll definitely give this one a shot. The different hunting styles seems like a cool mechanic. I have no idea why I've avoided this series all these years.