Thread: TNL Netflix Movie Club: Sunset Bouldevard/ The Two Jakes

1. TNL Netflix Movie Club: Sunset Bouldevard/ The Two Jakes

Since it's been a while since the last pick, and my requests for those who wanted to pick something to do so have seemingly fallen on deaf ears, I am doing mine.
    IT'S A TWO-FER!

First up is Billy Wilder's classic Sunset Boulevard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142705.1020.A.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	66856
    I give you netflix description.
    "When a struggling screenwriter stumbles upon the crumbling mansion of washed-up actress Norma Desmond, she persuades him to help her mount a comeback."
    Absolutely horrible. There is so much texture and nuance and intrigue to the story, and you would never know it from that description.

William Holden doesn't seem to get as much respect as I think he should. When I was first getting into movies I had heard of Gable, Bogart, Dean, and Stewart; but I had never heard of Holden. In my opinion he is just as great or better than any of those others.

I am sure most of you have seen it, I would hope those that haven't will give it a try.

Next up is the Nicholson helmed sequel to Chinatown, The Two Jakes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two_jakes_xlg.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	66857
    I actually saw this long before I saw Chinatown. Cinemax used to play it all the time when I was a teen and I had no idea of its lineage. All I knew was that it had some cool dialogue, some gorgeous shots, and a scene that taught me all I ever needed to know about being a gentleman.

Trailer Time:

Again, maybe most have seen it. But if you haven't, you need to.

2. Trailer for Sunset Blvd (Why can't we post more than one video per post?????!!!!!)

3. LOL I watched Sunset Boulvard just last night. It's simply outstanding! Like Misery and Mulholland Drive's sycotic parent. Probably my second or third favorite Noir under Maltese Falcon and maybe Double Indemnity.

Never seen Two Jakes.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. You should.
    I'm a Jake, you're a Jake. We're two Jakes!

5. Sunset Blvd RULES. Apparently, the original open for it was William Holden talking to other stiffs in the morgue about how they ended up there, but it was cut for being too silly. It is too silly, but I wish footage of it existed.

I've never seen The Two Jakes, but I was always under the impression that it was a pretty crummy movie--but then again that might just be because people compare it to Chinatown, which is a goddamn perfect movie. I read somewhere once that they planned on doing more Jake Gittes movies, one in the 30s (Chinatown), one in the 40s (Jakes) and then one in the 50s.

6. It's not as good as Chinatown. I will be the first to admit that.
    But it isn't crummy.
    Don't make me do it, don't make me do it....oh, you're going to make me doooo iitttttt.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    sycotic
    wat
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. Beverly Hills Cop is on Netflix. The first 11 minutes are some of the best in movies.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. I just want to mention how that poster for The Two Jakes looks so awesome. I've never seen the movie but I want to buy a copy and hang it up.