Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sequelitis" and Shortening Development Time

1. I got into comics hardcore when I was 10. By 14, I was chasing creators, not titles.
    *flex*
    I stopped buying comics when I was 33.
    *slide whistle effect.wav*

2. Who didn't know this? I remember the tail end of the PS2's live was packed with sequels, too.

It's not a fact discussion; we all know the way it has been. It's a question of whether it should be that way and whether the prevailing logic that late generation new IPs don't sell is valid.

This is only loosely related, but I'm too annoyed to not share:

At least Ubisoft doesn't have the market on French pieces of shit cornered any more. I can't wait to see multiplayer Dragon Age.

5. Mass Effect 3's MP game is excellent. If it's more of that, I am fine with it. I do know that is the exception.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's not a fact discussion; we all know the way it has been. It's a question of whether it should be that way and whether the prevailing logic that late generation new IPs don't sell is valid.
    The argument isn't that late generation new IPs don't sell. It's that late generation new IPs don't offer the same long term return on investment, because the work can only be used once.

Also, co-op Dead Space is a horrible idea, just like co-op Resident Evil.

7. if anything, I'd almost argue that new IP on the scale that hardcore gamers expect/demand will almost always be a failure. Which is why we see RE6, why Dead Space got 3 games in one console. Why Assassin's Creed gets 5 games on consoles in one generation (plus more on portables) with no signs of slowing down.

EA already tried this idea - they said "hey hardcore, you want new, bold IPs? How about a game where you don't kill anyone, but the adrenaline is delivered in freerunning?" and lo, Mirror's Edge sales sucked so much ass, they curbed that pie-in-the-sky idealism.

Say what you want, but overall prevailing evidence shows that those who give a shit about stuff like graphics and bigger, heavier hardware buy the same shit, generation after generation. And you know what? That's fine! Just don't pretend like the cause for this is old hardware, not a predictable audience.

And Capcom, Yoshi? 2 AA over 1 AAA? How long has it been since they've delivered even one AAA title? If anything I agree with Mech - I'd rather they shotgun the bullshit they've been doing, if it means I get to play a goofy ass game like Lost Planet 2 for $10 in 6 months after its release than Capcom act like RE is AAA and important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Did you just list Dead Space as a sequelitis game and then Mirror's Edge as a failed new IP?

9. Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Did you just list Dead Space as a sequelitis game and then Mirror's Edge as a failed new IP?
    Yeah - the one that didn't work got quickly dropped and the one that did? 2 more games within the span of a console generation. I know both were new IP EA was trying to push at the same time and I guess if I wanted to be particular, Dead Space was a new IP piggy-backing off of genre/control conventions that already worked before, where Mirror's Edge really felt like a new, never-done-before concept.

I brought em both up though because it does illustrate what the industry/we do when something does work like Dead Space - we sequel the fuck out of it. Acting like it's a new thing, or endemic to the end of a console's lifespan is bullshit. I'm also saying there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting sequels to things that sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. But you started your post with "new IP on the scale that hardcore gamers expect/demand will almost always be a failure" and went on to list two new IPs and RE6.