Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 - Thoughts.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Thoughts on Windows 8?

3.1 > 95 > 98 > XP > 7 > OSX
    OK this is trolling.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I think they're arrows, not greater than signs.

3. I read it wrong at first as well. He's saying he's been a windows nerd since the beginning, but 8 is making him go OSX.

4. Deep down he knows he wants Mac OS X and is just looking for an excuse. I was once in denial just like him.

5. I'd have to go Linux over Mac, I think. I really don't like the Mac interface and with Linux I at least have options there. I'd leave Windows kicking and screaming, though. I'm deathly afraid of change when it comes to my desktop computing.

Honestly, I've always, always dragged my heels on OS updates. I guess I got DOS 5 and 6 when they were new (QBasic, baby), but I didn't go from DOS to Windows 3.1 until like 1994 (and didn't even boot into it by default then), and I didn't get Windows 95 until like '97 (and even then, I kept a DOS boot partition). I kept '98 until like 2005, and XP until this year. So I'm pretty much in the wait and see camp.

I did dabble in Linux and BeOS in between, but the poor driver support for 3D video cards in the late 90s chased me away.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 27 Sep 2012 at 11:52 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I did dabble in Linux and BeOS in between, but the poor driver support for 3D video cards in the late 90s chased me away.
    By late 90s, you mean "this week" right? Because people are still bitching about that.

That's why nerds like Mac OS X. It's polished and pleasant to use and also has all the Unix stuff exposed for anyone who wants to use it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    By late 90s, you mean "this week" right? Because people are still bitching about that.
    Well, what I meant by "poor driver support" was "there existed no driver for that." But yes, I'm aware of the conflicts between nVidia and the Linux community and ATI's shitty OGL support.

I don't really see OSX or Linux displacing Windows as the standard for PC gaming, so I can't really see myself jumping ship, except maybe as a dual-boot. I find Mac's interface and visual design generally unpleasant (admittedly, this may be my own stodginess not liking things to be different), so I'd probably go Linux of the two. Mint seems nice enough.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 27 Sep 2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Microsoft. Certification. Process.

I posted it in the GFW/PC thread. I didn't realize that games running native for Win8 have to go through MS's archaic certification process. Know those games that don't get patched on 360 because of certification? Well pirates steal EVERYTHING on PC so why put a band-aid on a bullet wound is the mentality I assume most publishers will take. Get ready for the real death of PC gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I really doubt the Windows certification process is the same as the 360's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    We don't know yet, and I'm thinking in Worst Case Scenario's. If it is though, hoo boy.
    Notch doesn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Deep down he knows he wants Mac OS X and is just looking for an excuse. I was once in denial just like him.
    No, I want Windows 7 to be supported forever, but I know it won't be, and Microsoft is getting the NHL treatment from me. No more revenue.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    I posted it in the GFW/PC thread.