Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: An Important Question

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    you also don't rob your grandmother to pay for cigarettes
    Not all addicts are assholes. I never stole shit from anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    why would anyone do this?

Everyone knows they are addicting and bad for you, so why smoke 4 or 5 a night, every day?
    My take on it is that mostly it's people trying to be cool when they are teenagers, and forming an addiction they carry well into adulthood. I was like you, I smoked a couple of cigarettes and was like "What is fun about this?"

2. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Not all addicts are assholes. I never stole shit from anyone

My take on it is that mostly it's people trying to be cool when they are teenagers, and forming an addiction they carry well into adulthood. I was like you, I smoked a couple of cigarettes and was like "What is fun about this?"
    I've dealt with addiction problems as well but I never have made it to that full blown "I need drugs and I'll do ANYTHING to get them" stage. I've also never done heroin though. I've never stolen from somebody but I've made some bad choices about drinking/using that had negative impacts on my life (never major though). My dad has always been a good man and while there was never conclusive proof, I believe he stole several thousand dollars from a friend that was giving him some work (which is extremely out of character for him) to support his habit. He's reached the extreme addiction stage in his life several times where he's completely destroyed his life and would've died had he not gotten help.

My point was more figurative I guess than literal. I was just pointing out the fact that people don't go to major extremes for cigarettes like they do for things like heroin and cocaine to the point where their lives completely fall apart based on their actions to support their habits. It's because of these extremes that people often seek help to break their addictions. With a soft drug like nicotine, the incentives are usually based on long term health and saving smaller amounts of money so the rewards of quitting are relatively minor when compared to the rewards of quitting a hard drug.