Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous - The Mother of All Space Games Returns

1. Elite: Dangerous - The Mother of All Space Games Returns

Elite 4 has been kicking around in limbo for well over a decade at this point, and last week Kickstarter launched in the UK and, fittingly enough, this is the first high-profile project to come of that. It seems like they threw it together pretty hastily, and there's not even a video, but hopefully they pull that together as they go along.

Now that PC-style RPGs and Adventure games have had their moment, space games seem like a logical next genre to bring back and this and Star Citizen are the high profile games they needed to head that charge.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...erous?ref=live
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 06 Nov 2012 at 03:48 PM.

2. You know I'd never heard of this series. Sounds neat. Reminds me of Privateer.
    Time for a change

3. Quote Originally Posted by g0zen View Post
    You know I'd never heard of this series. Sounds neat. Reminds me of Privateer.
    It is the direct inspiration for Privateer. It basically created the 3D open-world space genre.

It wasn't that big in the US, but it was England's Super Mario Bros, pretty much.

4. I'm probably taking a pass on the Kickstarter, but the completed game has my attention. I really hope he can pull it off. I'm not holding my breath, but it's something I'd like to see if he can.

James

5. The conversion rate makes the price of entry a little high for me, but if I lived in the UK where games cost way too much, I'd probably think it was a good deal.

6. This has a video and some concept art (and proto footage in the background) now. Admittedly it doesn't seem as narrative as Star Citizen, and sticks close to that pure sandbox idea with a ton of procedural content, so the concept's a little different. I really want to see this genre come back.

7. Hasn't this guy been talking about this game for like a decade now? Who the hell would give him money after all that?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Hasn't this guy been talking about this game for like a decade now? Who the hell would give him money after all that?
    I'm not sure I understand your point. Yes, he's been talking about this game for over a decade, but it's not like it's ever entered proper development. Just a some skunkworks concept work in the hopes of persuading a publisher, which never happened.

That's the perfect Kickstarter narrative. It's more or less the same story as Wasteland 2 and Tex Murphy, which both did well for what they were. What would be discouraging about the fact that this is a long-overdue passion project?

9. The terrestrial stuff could potentially be neat, depending on how much detail they can get with procedural generation. Being able to fly across space and down onto the surface of a fairly detailed planet could be pretty incredible.

10. Real gameplay footage, finally:

You have to wonder why they didn't show more footage of the prototype out of the gate, it actually looks pretty good, and very true to Elite.

Also, oh no, pitch/roll? Still?