Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: THQ in Big Trouble

1. The cost and return scales. If they're a small company then they can't fund large projects and delaying their small projects will put them under. If they're a large company then small projects won't keep them afloat and delaying large projects will put them under.

The main issues tend to come down to management. Browse Gamasutra's post-release what went right/what went wrong and the stuff that drags out the development and causes delays is usually bad management.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Stock price doesn't affect the balance sheet, but like MechDeus said, the lack of revenue from not selling these games could sink them. I should've been clearer in my post - EA's stock price took a hit from NBA Live getting canceled, but that's because EA as a company lost tens of millions of dollars of income.

Issuing stock doesn't change the value of the company.
    Thats what I was thinking.

I always get confused when people talk about stock, because a lot of people present the information like stock dropping actually is what kills the company. People talk as if it was a cause and not a symptom.

3. I'm going to be really sad if THQ goes down and no one picks up the Darksiders series.

U(bisoft)gh. Let them buy Darksiders, but get Take Two or Bethesda to take the good stuff.

5. One unforseen side effect of this is that it might acyually kill of Itagaki`s Devils Third game.
    THQ returned the IP to him when they decided they would no longer fund/publish the game, they did allow him to continue to develop the title with Vigil Games in house developed engine for Darksiders 2 though.

What happens there remains to be seen, not looking good for Itagakis troubled game.

Who cares? Vigil was a perfect match for him. They both suck.

7. I dunno, Ubisoft's acquisition of Vigil/Darksiders seems pretty natural to me.

Totally agree. DRM that won't let you play would be a feature.

9. Interesting what they did with the HIB situation. I bet it netted them a bunch of dollars. Even though there are certainly customers out there who would still pay $50 for some of those games, there are people like me who would never have otherwise spent ANY money on those games. For those prices? Fuck yeah, I'll check 'em out. Not only does it create instant cash, it builds brand awareness, AND some credibility. I actually find myself somewhat caring about all these guys whose jobs are on the line.

Lately, I don't give a damn about the big publishers and their huge hierarchies of development, but there are still real people working there who do put a lot of effort into those games, who have their own special talents. Even if the 3D model designers don't get a say in the overall direction of the game like they would on an indie release (or even at a unique environment like Valve)... these are still hardworking guys who are making some pretty solid games. If anything, the fact that they're delaying these games gives me the impression that someone there is not settling for releasing shitty games just to make their fiscal situation look better.

Obviously something's gone wrong and I don't know much about corporate management and nothing really about what bankruptcy even technically means. But I do find myself hoping that this isn't the end for them.

Also, $100-200 a game is just asking to go the way of the home Neo Geo console.

10. It netted them jackshit, the money went to charity, the reason THQ did it was for charity and build awarenes for upcoming sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    Interesting what they did with the HIB situation. I bet it netted them a bunch of dollars. Even though there are certainly customers out there who would still pay $50 for some of those games, there are people like me who would never have otherwise spent ANY money on those games. For those prices? Fuck yeah, I'll check 'em out. Not only does it create instant cash, it builds brand awareness, AND some credibility. I actually find myself somewhat caring about all these guys whose jobs are on the line.

Lately, I don't give a damn about the big publishers and their huge hierarchies of development, but there are still real people working there who do put a lot of effort into those games, who have their own special talents. Even if the 3D model designers don't get a say in the overall direction of the game like they would on an indie release (or even at a unique environment like Valve)... these are still hardworking guys who are making some pretty solid games. If anything, the fact that they're delaying these games gives me the impression that someone there is not settling for releasing shitty games just to make their fiscal situation look better.

Obviously something's gone wrong and I don't know much about corporate management and nothing really about what bankruptcy even technically means. But I do find myself hoping that this isn't the end for them.

Also, $100-200 a game is just asking to go the way of the home Neo Geo console.