Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8101112

Thread: 2012-2013 Major League Baseball Hot Stove

1. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Gio Gonzalez has issued a press release saying he's very, very sorry and he'll never do it again.

Oh wait—no, he denied it.
    Apparently, his name has just been linked to the guy. All of the substances associated with him in the notes are allowed under the MLB guidelines. That's irresponsible reporting throwing his name in the headlines making it seem like he's been linked to banned substances when he has not.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    Apparently, his name has just been linked to the guy. All of the substances associated with him in the notes are allowed under the MLB guidelines. That's irresponsible reporting throwing his name in the headlines making it seem like he's been linked to banned substances when he has not.
    Oh really? That's quite fucked up.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Oh really? That's quite fucked up.
    The details have changed. I think they're saying now he's been linked to ingredients in a synthetic testosterone cream but I'm unsure of all the details.

I think we're pretty quickly approaching the very end of the steroid era. Guys are still going to do stuff to stay ahead of the testing program but it's becoming pretty risky now. Lots of guys are getting caught. MLB may be handing out suspensions over this current "scandal". I think they need to come to a common ground though. A lot of guys use steroids to recover from injuries quicker. Why should players not be allowed to use any methods available to recover from injuries faster? Fans want to see their favorite players playing good and healthy baseball. They don't want to see them on the DL for half a season because of a muscle strain.

But where do you draw the line? If a guy is "playing hurt," should he still be allowed to use banned substances?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    But where do you draw the line? If a guy is "playing hurt," should he still be allowed to use banned substances?
    It's an interesting question and not really an easy one to answer. The incentive for guys to use to recover from injury is going to stay high when the incentive for performance enhancement is going to decline with the increase in penalties. I guess it's more of a medical issue? Doctors would have to determine the treatment that's acceptable and maybe MLB could have their own doctors to review the course of treatment for approval?