Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSIO: Play PS1 Games from SD/HDD - on the Real Hardware!

1. PSIO: Play PS1 Games from SD/HDD - on the Real Hardware!

A gadget called PSIO is in the pipeline. It'll allow you to run your PS1 games from SD cards or HDD on real hardware. The team almost has a prototype ready. Plans to do the HDD version were almost scrapped, but the developers had second thoughts and decided to go through with both formats. It's for original PS/PSone only and will not support PSX/PS2/PS3.

The makers plan to do it as a parallel port cartridge for the OG PS. If you have the PSone, you'll need a special version that solders to the mobo. Very cool idea, even if it may end up costing 175 AUD in a worst case scenario. They're trying to find good part suppliers to get that cost down. PSIO will have an OS similar to XMB.

PSIO site

I may have to get one. Ripping my collection to a 2TB HDD sounds like an epic win.

OK... discuss.

2. I can't even make jokes about AUD anymore, because that's 182 US dollars. That's a lot to make PS1 gaming slightly easier.

I wonder if it will work with modchip-unfriendly games, like Metal Gear Solid Integral.

Not sure I can swallow a price that high when ps1 mod chips are $4 and cdrs are cheap, but I love the idea. Hopefully they can keep the costs down.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Not sure I can swallow a price that high when ps1 mod chips are $4 and cdrs are cheap, but I love the idea. Hopefully they can keep the costs down.
    Well, the real benefit I see is that it bypasses the part most likely to fail in the system: the disc drive.

Here's hoping somebody figures out something similar for the Saturn.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Well, the real benefit I see is that it bypasses the part most likely to fail in the system: the disc drive.
    PlayStations are what, twenty or thirty bucks on eBay? You'd have to go through a lot of PlayStations to make up that cost.

Hell, PS2s play the games and they aren't that much more.

BUT MORTAL KOMBAT TRILOGY AND GRADIUS GAIDEN DON'T WORK PROPERLY ON PS2.

I was thinking more about 20 or 30 years down the line. By that time, I bet a PS1 with a working laser will be a rarity.

8. In 30 years we will all have PlayStations embedded into our brain-links.

9. You can buy a china man console that plays movies and games from PS1 and like twenty other consoles from an SD card for much less than that.
    http://dx.com/p/rx-ps-one-video-game...-av-hdmi-65700

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    You can buy a china man console that plays movies and games from PS1 and like twenty other consoles from an SD card for much less than that.
    http://dx.com/p/rx-ps-one-video-game...-av-hdmi-65700
    I see it has MP3 support which was lacking in the original PS, among other features. Rather than original hardware, this seems to be a PMP like the Dingoo done as a console. I guess it doesn't have original hardware, but rather emulates the system. The reviewer complained that not all games work on it (I wonder just how many PS games do not work on it), and that racing games have bad lag.

What's wrong with Gradius Gaiden on PS2? For one thing, the slowdown on the Event Horizon stage is insufferable hell. I don't know if PS3 has that issue. Also, I remember Night Raid suffering from input lag on PS2.

I'm hoping PSIO will do saves to the SD/HDD and eliminate the need for official memory cards. That shouldn't be hard to do.
    Now we need something like this for Neo-Geo CD and Sega Saturn.