Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 41416171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 2 - (PC, 360, PS3, XBO, PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Lol, I've been dicking around in Majula. My guy seems so weak that I'm almost afraid to fight the first boss. I finally got a short bow, though! Now I need a catalyst so I can use spells.
    There's a catalyst or chime right in Majula. As you're entering from Things Betwixt, look on your right for an edge to drop off of, there's a Mace and a Cleric's Sacred Chime (iirc) which lets you cast spells.

2. 3 little piglets killed me right off the bat.

3. Sweet! Thanks!

4. I rolled a swordsman, I am not sure if I like him other than the animation. I might restart with mage instead.

5. I played a bunch of Dark Souls II Wednesday and Thursday, thanks to renting it from Redbox, and it's definitely fun stuff.

Time & character
    I put in almost as many hours as Pineapple on the first day, then played a good deal the next, and still had a bunch more to do. Selected the cleric class as I really wanted to try more of a magic-user character instead of my typical more straightforward weapon-wielding character (with pyromancy in the original Dark Souls), but I didn't diverge too much as it turns out thanks to not finding too many miracles early on plus liking the Heide Knight Sword with its lightning damage (love that). Also selected the Petrified Something as my item, as an early twitch stream I couldn't help but watch a small portion of tipped me off to giving that item to the Smoothy?/Silky? Crows only to receive a neat White Ring in return (makes your character look like a white phantom). I started off using the small Heal miracles which were helpful, especially for healing others in phantom/co-op play and not having to use many lifegems, and then I later moved to an effective Lightning Spear miracle plus the trusty Pyromancy Flame which I enhanced to +4 by the end of my session.

As mentioned above, other than that small bit of twitch streaming I saw pre-release, I've been trying my best to avoid streams/wikis/spoilers to experience the game the first time through. Plus the one or two little things I did look up while playing, I didn't find concrete answers because it's still early. Pretty neat.

Difficulty
    I found it to be difficult, although that could partly be due to how long I played Dark Souls with my somewhat over-leveled character. Still, I could almost always find one if not two phantoms to summon, and whenever I put my sign down I would almost always be summoned within seconds (easy way to get souls if you're interested). That might not continue to be the case past the immediate wake of this game's release, but it was awesome to experience. Very early on however I was extremely hesitant to use human effigies to summon others, because I only had a few and I had read that they would be quite limited, but at least by the end of my time with the game, I was using them before bosses and still had a dozen or more in my inventory. I summoned friendly phantoms for almost every boss I defeated, it was just a blast to play together and as Pineapple says, the bosses are designed such that they encourage you to summon others. Although there are undoubtedly killer Dark Souls players out there doing everything solo.

Bosses
    As Pineapple mentioned earlier, FUCKING. ORNSTEIN! Still dishing out the law even if his law partner is gone. And that's not the only returning boss, with the other - the Belfry Gargoyles - having increased in number and thus harder to beat! There's a lot of fun, crazy bosses. Like Pineapple, I beat 9 or 10 bosses in my time with the game. When I finally beat the Pursuer, thanks to the help of a third pair of phantoms who didn't kill me with the ballista bolts ( ._.), it was such a joy.

One thing I'll say is that, as you're tasked with acquiring the Big Four Souls in the game, you'll definitely know when you acquire one of those four souls. I did come across one of the four: the Lost Sinner in Sinner's Rise, which is the fog gate you can see from the overhead bridge in Lost Bastille. The Lost Sinner is nuts, seemingly quite similar to Artorias such that I'll be interested to see if there's any kind of connection there, plus I'll give you a little tip that when you beat that boss you get a branch of yore special item* that can turn a petrified statue back to human - just what you need for the statue of the woman blocking the switch in Majula. And she's an incredibly valuable character from what I played at least.

*Although that item is one-time use, and I've seen another petrified statue. Just before the aforementioned bridge leading to the Sinner's Rise fog gate, in fact. There's a statue blocking the entrance to a prison cell with a bonfire inside. So there must be at least one more of that item, and I figured I might have played things a little out of order, but I just set off to explore. Speaking of which ...

Environment
    It's Dark Souls alright and the places to discover and explore are a real treat. I just finished up going through this crazy dense mist-covered forest with faintly visible enemies, some distance after getting through that gate with the state of the woman. Maybe it's just me, but with Dark Souls II, it feels like there is even less of a nudge in terms of where to go next than with Dark Souls. You're given the grand goal and, with a handful of potential paths from Majula (some of which you can't immediately pursue), you're really left to explore. Even starting off in the Things Betwixt, it's such a great looking place. The lighting issue rears its head as you come across unlit torches located around, not serving the game and atmosphere as they were originally intended in some spots, and only makes you hope it's something that can be rectified for the PC/current-gen ports. Yet it's still an incredible world to explore, harkening back to what we imagined with the NES Zelda games and the like, as Pineapple astutely recommended exhausting all dialogue with NPCs.

One funny thing for me was reaching the Huntman's Copse area, which was the area in the PS3 network test that I played in late 2013, and thus having that bit of familiarity in this new, strange adventure.

Performance
    I played the 360 version and it seemed alright. I don't really have an eye for this sort of thing, but that said, there's some screen-tearing and the framerate was okay - maybe even better than 30 fps in a few areas - from what I could tell. Again, take that with a grain of salt, there are others with a much finer eye towards this than me.

6. I wish there was a jet ski in Dark Souls 2, Wave Race / GTAV style, those waves in Majula look so fuckin incredible

7. I'm really enjoying this so far, I usually run dex/int builds so I can do some ranged magic and melee with enchanted weapons, so I rolled sorcerer. Big mistake, no shield and no STR to even use a shield meant melee was horrible up until I killed The Last Giant, so many deaths from bad rolls fighting multiple enemies. I then upped my str to 15 and purchased the best stability/phys reduction shield I could find. I got the pursuer reasonably easily and now I'm in Lost bastille where I got instakilled by the boss there.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

8. Anyone found an 100% physical reduction shield yet?

9. After the boss fight in Forest of Fallen Giants. You need 16 dex.

Edit: Oops. Yeah, it's the drangelic shield, and it's str not dex.
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 15 Mar 2014 at 10:50 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post
    After the boss fight in Forest of Fallen Giants. You need 16 dex.
    Where and which one is that? I got the Drangelic Shield by rolling off a ledge after the second boss, it's 16 str. 100 phys red. I got another 100 phys red, Old Knight's Shield off a big knight, better stability and all elemental reductions but 24 str...