Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 2 - (PC, 360, PS3, XBO, PS4)

1. I'm down for the same game with more explanation as far as the game's systems go. I think the lack of explanation of the crafting/covenants/tendency/stats systems really only served to frustrate the user when they should be there to support them.

But if they mess at all with the overall tone of hopelessness and mystery and "I don't know what the fuck is around the next corner but I'm pretty sure it's going to kill me" I'm going to be sad.
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 08 Dec 2012 at 11:02 AM.

2. You know what this game needs? A Soliton radar.

3. Yeah, I'm hoping the game keeps the mysterious tone. The trailer suggests that it won't, but we'll see.

We sympathise if that sort of statement concerns you, but at the same time, we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls.
    lol. I'd have From make the game solely for me if I could.

4. Fuck yo profits!

5. Hand holding and thorough explanation of complex systems is kind of useless in a world where everybody has a tablet/smartphone and access to game wikis/forums. There was nothing wrong with Dark Souls; the only design mistake for casuals was effective game save deaths caused by things such as compounding curses in a place with a complex exit like the hollowed tree, or entering the painted world undergeared/leveled, the game really needed a WoW-like hearth with a heavy cost; and slowdown in Blighttown.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. I really believe what made Dark Souls so engrossing was the lack of hand holding. How nice and refreshing that a game assumed you were smart and engaging enough to try and figure things out for yourself. To assume that you could learn through failure and wouldn't give up, because a victory well-earned was better than passively pressing up to win.

If they try to make it like Skyrim or any other AAA game, it will break my heart a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    Especially the bit about how the new director would rather be direct than subtle.
    I can see it now - hours of tutorials and forcing you to do things that would be more fun discovering...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Apart from both being fantasy and the release timing, I really don't understand why Skyrim & Dark Souls were compared so much.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

9. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    Hand holding and thorough explanation of complex systems is kind of useless in a world where everybody has a tablet/smartphone and access to game wikis/forums
    But at the same time, I don't think there should be things like World Tendency that are so poorly explained (if they bother explaining it at all) that you pretty much have to head to a wiki to make heads or tails of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    Hand holding and thorough explanation of complex systems is kind of useless in a world where everybody has a tablet/smartphone and access to game wikis/forums.
    Fuck that. I get annoyed when I have to resort to those things at all. I don't ever want developers assuming I'll use them.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    Apart from both being fantasy and the release timing, I really don't understand why Skyrim & Dark Souls were compared so much.
    The better comparison would be The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls. Both are fantasy, and each is the pinnacle of its hemisphere's RPGs for this generation. Plus, they play somewhat similarly, at least compared to Skyrim.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 09 Dec 2012 at 09:10 AM.