Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324244454647 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls 2 - (PC, 360, PS3, XBO, PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    i'm told i should go in expecting B team effort here. is that a fair assessment?
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    I think most of the complaints of that sort are bullshit.

But I have to agree that the level & enemy design aren't quite as imaginative this time around.
    It's still quite good.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    No.

The B-team shit with this game is just mental. Anyone who says it is a moron.
    Truth. I think DS2 ranks below Demon's Souls, but it's still very very good and absolutely worth your time if you're a fan of the series.

3. Playing this game because I didn't get all the trophies last time and I haven't got Persona 5 yet.

It's really not as bad as the "B Team" group claims. Reading old reviews (WHO DOES THAT) they seemed to really, really like it. 9, 98, etc.

Problem is this game takes the heat that should have been directed at DS1 since it's in the same untouchable class as other far less than perfect games that people only want to remember as perfect.

I will say the bosses are as easy or easier than I remember - get behind them and the battle is over, no rolling or actual dodging required. And after lots of BB and DS3 it feels dated (just like DS1 - like playing the OG Tomb Raider after the new one).

Maybe as I go through I'll change my mind, and No Mans Warf is annoyingly stupid for no reason (and I remember some poison spitting statues later that are the same kind of garbage), but it's a pretty good game so far. It's tough to rank it among the upper echelon of gaming like the others in the series, but calling it terrible and awful and crap is a little too much.

Surprisingly, lots of people online.

4. Six you're a good man. It brings joy to my heart when I see people enjoying Dark Souls. While this game wasn't perfect, even a little clunky I would say, it did a lot of things right and setup better things to come for the series.

While sadly there were no achievements for the DLC portions (again), that's where the game really shined IMO. The Ivory King areas were some of my favorite overall, and I'd venture that's still a hotbed of PvP and jolly cooperation.

5. I have a love-hate relation with this game.

The game design is just so, so bad throughout. I hate those damn spiders in Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

People do love the multiplayer, though. And the Fume Knight is still my fave boss in the series.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    And the Fume Knight is still my fave boss in the series.
    Solid choice! He made me humble many times before figuring out he was regenerating health and I put a stop to that. The Fume Knight Sword is one of my favorite weapons in both this and DS3.

I may have to give that honor to Ornstein and Smough for having that big holy shit moment in a game full of holy shit moments. The Gargoyles set your idea of a two boss fight early on, then it's mostly large single bosses until you hit Anor Londo. Then these guys show up and change your idea of a two boss fight, with whichever dies first turning the other into a giant and speedy version of itself. It was a lot of fun helping out with this fight, probably the one I did the most.

7. I recently started Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, first time playing the game since my launch week experience with the original, noted earlier in this thread. And I'm playing in offline mode as I let my PS Plus sub run out early this year, so there's not even messages between me and the world to explore.

It's a fun experience so far, for sure. A lot of deaths, especially as I haven't used an effigy yet, but I can now say that I've beaten the Pursuer, the Ruin Sentinels, and the Belfry Gargoyles single-handedly with that HP handicap even. That doesn't mean much to our Souls veterans here, but from where I started with those bosses to reach those results (after numerous attempts!), it feels rewarding.

Bit surprised there hasn't been a NPC to summon yet, while I've faced 3 or 4 invaders so far, but I've likely missed something - especially as I've yet to get to Heide's Tower of Flame and I'm certain it didn't that long with the original. Right now I'm on the cusp of dealing with the major boss at Sinner's Rise as well as starting to explore the Shaded Woods.

Big change for me from Dark Souls is no shield, just two-handing so far. Bit of an influence from Bloodborne, plus becoming a Greatsword believer thanks to Monster Hunter and finally reading Berserk, I'm currently using my Bastard Sword+5 which is doing good damage.

8. I think you can only summon when you are human? So you wouldn't see the signs while you are Hollow.
    I tried to play Scholar of the First Sin after playing Bloodborne, I completely forgot how to play Dark Souls after playing Bloodborne. I was dying to everything.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. Honestly, scholar of the first sin isn't the best version of 2. The remixed enemies mess up the game balance a lot.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I think you can only summon when you are human? So you wouldn't see the signs while you are Hollow.
    I tried to play Scholar of the First Sin after playing Bloodborne, I completely forgot how to play Dark Souls after playing Bloodborne. I was dying to everything.
    Of course, that explains it. I can't believe I forgot, thanks.

A common tip I've seen in lttp threads is investing in adaptability for rolls and overall agility, so that was a primary focus of mine early on.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I've yet to get to Heide's Tower of Flame and I'm certain it didn't that long with the original. Right now I'm on the cusp of dealing with the major boss at Sinner's Rise as well as starting to explore the Shaded Woods.
    Nevermind that bit about the Tower, not sure how I missed that chain lever. Also, Lost Sinner went down on the first try.
    Last edited by Geo; 20 Sep 2017 at 02:52 AM.