Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Retro Anecdotes

They were expensive at retail I think as well, yeah. They were one of the first "premium" sets. And this would have been maybe a year and a half after they came out.

2. Them upper deck jams? Or the Fleer cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Them upper deck jams? Or the Fleer cards.
    Leaf. They started as the Canadian variants (thus the name) but became the premium line.

4. Shit, forgot about leaf. Yes Virginia, there was a time when I cared about sports.

5. The red Donruss ones where everyone had a bunch of "rare misprints" because their printing sucked and half the players' names had lines running over them IMO.

Also
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 10 Dec 2012 at 10:13 AM.

We should probably move posts 28 through this one to some Sound Off sports card thread.

7. I saved up for a N64 by working for my dad on weekends.

We would get up at 4am on Saturdays and going to unfinished construction sites for 16 hour days. There was no heat in these places so we had to run the gas heater but only for a little bit of the time, because, you know, carbon monoxide. And there was no electricity so I had to lug 50 pound pails of wallpaper paste up and down 5 flights of stairs. All this for the whopping $5 an hour (less than minimum wage at the time). My dad also happens to be a... very difficult person to work for, so I basically got yelled at all day for not anticipating his every move.

Was it worth it? No, but it was more memorable than actually using my N64.

8. My first job, I worked for my uncle. I got paid all at once for nice healthy 2 dollars an hour. That was bullshit, as I worked really hard (I was really good at physical labor for whatever reason). I bought a basketball hoop with the money ;p Anyway, I made an awesome map for the whole playing area of Zillion once, and by the time I was done with it, never actually used it after I won the first time. Also, I was pretty scared of actually trying to beat Space Harrier because some of the stuff just spooked me. So, I wound up dying on purpose for a while.

Space Harrier is a great game

9. Well, the thread title doesn't explicitly ask for video game anecdotes.

But on-topic:
    I once rented NBA Jam TE from Blockbuster, transposed the label for it and that BB rental seal onto my vanilla NBA Jam copy, and returned that. Never got a call about it, so I guess I did a pretty good job.