Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Retro Anecdotes

1. Europe gave us the original X-COM.

They got a free pass forever because of just that.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Europe produced more than just Jet Set Willy, ass.
    Agreed, but that damn game makes its way onto the Retro Gamer cover in some capacity multiple times a year.

3. Let's get back to sports or theft, pls.

How about both?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OJ_display_image.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	67948  

5. I was a huge fan of Mega Man as a kid but never played the original, until I was attending this day camp and a kid lent me a copy. He tried to lie to me later about some stuff in the game (like Roll being playable or some nonsense) but I called him on his bullshit because I actually beat it. Then I kept forgetting to bring it back to him until the last couple days, when I brought it with me like two or three days in a row but he never showed up.

I still have it somewhere.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Agreed, but that damn game makes its way onto the Retro Gamer cover in some capacity multiple times a year.
    I've said it before, but it's no surprise that a European mag would focus on European games, and it's not a bad thing. A Retro Gamer US would look VERY different.

7. Yeah, it would focus on Japanese games.

It would just be bad in a different way. It would have somewhat better source material but worse writing based every other US gaming rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, it would focus on Japanese games.
    That would be interesting. I guess it depends how far back they decide to go and how much focus each era gets.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, it would focus on Japanese games.
    Not if they had a bunch of old fart fans of the early 80's. That's the point.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I've said it before, but it's no surprise that a European mag would focus on European games, and it's not a bad thing. A Retro Gamer US would look VERY different.
    Right. Many of today's top game developers grew up on the Spectrum, the Atari ST, the Amiga, and other platforms that never caught on here.

And of course, Yoshi's beloved Starfox was developed by UK designers. Not just the Super FX chip.

I was lucky enough to go to Tokyo in 1987 and London in 1990. Both trips were equally mind-blowing from the perspective of a young video-game fan in the 1980's.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood