Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Retro Anecdotes

1. Along those lines, I once bought the PS1 version of Metal Slug X from a Blockbuster. It didn't come with any inserts, just the disc. So I went to another Blockbuster I knew that still had the game for rent, pulled the inserts right out of the display, stuffed them inside some random movie, and rented the movie with free Metal Slug X inserts.

2. clever

• My first console was a Colecovision with Venture and Smurf. My brother and I got tired of Donkey Kong pretty quick (no pie factory level, boo) but played the LIVING SHIT out of Venture. He looped it once in 2 hours and I took over, doing the same thing. We ended up burning out the AC adapter. Of course, no one back then knew that, so we thought we had killed the Coleco. My dad threw the whole thing out the next day (with the games!).
    • My dad took me to buy the NES on Christmas eve - the year it launched. Yeah, my dad was really aware of holiday trends... Anyway, we went to 9 different stores and, unsurprisingly, didn't find any available. We ended up back at the first store we checked, Lionel Playworld, and he let me choose between an Atari 2600 Jr. and 10 games or a Master System with 1 game. I was leaning towards the Atari when my older brother offered to buy F-16 Fighting Falcon if I took the MS. I did, and that decision shaped my gaming preferences forever.
    • Walmart in my town was liquidating Saturn games for $4.77 each at Christmas, but another of their stores nearby had them full price. I bought VF 2, Sega Rally, and Daytona for about $15 with tax and then returned them to the other store for $220 credit (VF2 scanned at $70 alone!). Since it was the holidays and the games were unopened, they let me return them without receipts.
    • I once swapped a copy of Doom for PS with a demo, resealed it, and then tried to return it at TRU. The damn disc came loose in the box, and while the sales girl was ringing up my return, the assistant manager shook the box and decided to open it. When he saw the demo, he just looked at me, shocked. I didn't know what to do, so I yelled "OMG, FIRE!" and ran the hell out of there.

3. I remember one time a looooong time ago I rented Altered Beast and it came with this weird adapter cuz the cart was shaped all rounded and weird. To this day haven't figured out what it was for.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Retro:

I really hope this doesn't turn into some retarded "They aren't platformers if you don't jump on enemies' heads" argument.

Retro games are actually old shit. "Retro-style" or "neo-Retro" is stuff that imitates old shit. Castlevania Adventure and Dark Void Zero are not retro games, they're retro-style games.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bojack View Post
    I remember one time a looooong time ago I rented Altered Beast and it came with this weird adapter cuz the cart was shaped all rounded and weird. To this day haven't figured out what it was for.
    The cart was probably Japanese (rounded) and the adapter let you play it on your Gaijin console.

6. Adjective
    Imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past: "retro 60s fashions".
    Noun
    Clothes or music whose style or design is imitative of those of the recent past.

7. Yoshi must be VERY disappointed with every issue of Retro Gamer Magazine ever published, that's all I'm saying.

That's true regardless of the title. They butcher facts and think that Europe mattered before Tomb Raider. Jet Set Willy woohoo!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    That's true regardless of the title. They butcher facts and think that Europe mattered before Tomb Raider. Jet Set Willy woohoo!
    Europe produced more than just Jet Set Willy, ass.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood