Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hackintosh

1. I think you guys should fight about it.

I think you guys should fight about it.

3. Does every thread have to be about Mechdeus?
    Wtf!

I'ma reading this threada like everyone has a bad Italian accenta.

5. Does every thread have to be about Mario?
    Wtff!

Strike me down and 3 shit posters will replace me. Strike those posters down, and 9 will replace them.

We are the troll hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    What's your total cost so far?
    new egg total - 686.92. This is ignoring the $30 rebate on the graphics card, and if I wanted to sell the game keys I got with it.

SSD hard drive coming from Amazon - 102.00 (I used a 25 gift card from Christmas and got it down a little)

i7 core processor - 229 + tax at microcenter (329 at newegg). I ended up paying 268 after tax, handling fees and shipping.

Mountain Lion OS is 20. I'll probably just dual boot it and XP. I have a legal XP key around here somewhere.

650 watt power supply - 89

soooo

If you had to go out and buy an apple keyboard, mouse and working monitor it would be another 200-300. If you wanted to get a super duper monitor for image and video work, that would be about 300-800, depending.

It should be noted that I'm building something to compete with the best current Mac Pro. The Quad-Core Mac Pro is like what, 2400? and the 12 Core is like 3800? My computer should be almost as powerful as the 12 core.

If you just want something to run Mountain Lion so you can surf tumblr, watch youtube and troll the internet, you can build a mac mini for 400-600.

This write up does a pretty good comparison

http://lifehacker.com/5919132/build-...apple-released

starting out, you only save about 1000. But as you beef up your hackintosh, the cost savings are huge vs buying a similar mac pro.

9. So, how is it running? I have a really similar system to what you just put together.

The main reason I ask is — I edit a lot of video at home, but it keeps me away from the office (which believe it or not actually blows). They're all Mac freaks over there though, and even though we'd be using Premiere on either system, my boss is a real Mac lunatic.

and for the lazy, here's a chart. This is a 2010 hackintosh vs a 2010 (same thing they sell now) Mac Pro. If you were to build a hackintosh from 2013 components you'd either come out lot cheaper using comparable parts or with a lot faster PC with similarly priced current parts.

source: http://nofilmschool.com/build-a-hack...ts-benchmarks/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hackintosh_geekbench.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	69512