Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Xbox Appreciation Thread

1. Also, CvS2 online was legit. Probably the most I've ever played a single fighting game online.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

2. I wasn't a big fan of the original Xbox. It's the only "retro" system I have in my house that isn't hooked up right now, and that's because it's too damn big. A lot of the games that I liked for the system too, were inferior sequels. For example, I didn't think JSRF was as good as JSR on the Dreamcast, House of the Dead 3 wasn't as good as House of the Dead 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2 was better than Dead or Alive 3,Crazy Taxi 3 surely doesn't come close to the original Crazy Taxi....etc.....

To me the Xbox is basically defined by being clumsily designed, having a horrendous original controller, having a bunch of inferior sequels, yet being the best system to go to for multiplatform games...which also was one of the systems' downfalls because it never really had a game that defined it as its own system. I might as well have been playing games on a PC...

Like you already mentioned though, Gun Valkyrie is still an underrated gem on that system. Panzer Dragoon Orta was also fantastic, it's a shame that it had to be wasted on the original Xbox.

Breakdown is definitely my favorite game for the system too. Despite its myriad of technical flaws, that game was just a fucking trip. I also really got a ton of play time out of Crimson Skies...probably the most fun I've had with a flight game in the last few generations.

I also may be one of only ten people in the entire world who really liked Grabbed By the Ghoulies....I know...I know...terrible game, but it had its charms.
    Last edited by magnifiedplaid; 24 Dec 2012 at 02:12 AM.

3. Oh man, I forgot about Crimson Skies. Good game and I really liked the whole zeppelin sky pirate thing. Also! I am pretty sure that I first heard mzo's dulcet tones in a Crimson Skies match.

Phantom Dust. Just ten minutes ago, I was having a drink with a friend I made playing that game nearly 10 years ago. Still the best online game ever made.

I still have mine. Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden are 2 of the dopest games ever made.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post

I still have mine. Panzer Dragoon Orta and Ninja Gaiden are 2 of the dopest games ever made.
    Oh yeah...I have to give Ninja Gaiden its respects. I can't believe I forgot to mention that one!

6. Let's not forget how much we all loved Jade Empire even more than KOTOR. Deep down, you know it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nice, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Don't forget Psychonauts you guys!

Playing through the first Splinter Cell and have 2 and 3 in the mail, they were super cheap. I have Ninja Gaiden Black, could've sworn I had vanilla Ninja Gaiden but I may have sold it. Same for DOA3. I'll snap 'em up if they're cheap enough along with the volleyball game, teehee.

I played the shit out of Crimson Skies along with bahn back in the day, those were good times. Never finished the single player so I'll definitely give that a spin. Definitely have and played the shit out of CVS2, that was awesome except for the people that would color edit their shit to all black and name the character "Dark Ryu." Fuck them.

I did the same thing, Pineapple, the Xbox was my go to machine for the multiplat games like the aforementioned Sands of Time trilogy. There were also those weird mascot platformers back then. Like, did anyone play Vexx or I-Ninja?

I'm all about games that get a bad rep so I'll definitely try Grabbed by the Ghoulies, great suggestion.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I have Jade Empire somewhere, definitely got to give that a shot. KOTOR I have and love on PC, I don't think there is any reason at all to own the Xbox version.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Nice, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Don't forget Psychonauts you guys!

Like, did anyone play Vexx or I-Ninja?
    Yeah, Psychonauts was great stuff. I can't believe I'm forgetting so many of these great Xbox games!

I played a little bit of Vexx, but I never really got into it. It struck me as a game where the developer just tried too hard to make an epic game, and it ended up being fairly mediocre. I did like I-Ninja a hell of a lot though. I probably wouldn't give it any higher than a 7 out of 10, but it was a fun little platformer.

10. Definitely have a soft spot for this thing. I owned one before owning a PS2, so it was probably the console I used most through high school. Love Gunvalkyrie, Breakdown, Ninja Gaiden Black, Phantom Dust, other usual suspects. Played so much Halo. Multiplatform games were big. Never try playing Def Jam FFNY on a PS2 after playing the Xbox version.

Haven't seen anybody mention Spikeout Battle Street yet. I didn't get to try it until a couple years back but it's great.

I played through Metal Wolf Chaos last year and it's just okay. Don't listen to the people making it sound like something incredible.

How about Otogi? I never really played these games but I've heard people love them. Same deal with Phantom Crash. I'll get around to these eventually.

Steel Battalion is unbeaten and currently boxed since the move some months back, but I'm going to beat that god damn game some day. I'm currently feeling like it might be the best game on the console.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Dec 2012 at 03:39 AM.