Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy New (Wave) Year!

1. Happy New (Wave) Year!

I've a plan to listen to 52 new (to me) albums this year. I considered doing it as a blog, but no one ever responds to them anymore, and I want to discuss this stuff.
    One of the nice things about being old is that I've seen a lot of bands start out and evolve. I want to do that with New Wave.
    One of the crap things about being old is that I can have everything now. When I was a kid, new tapes or CDs were few and far between, so when I got a new one, I played the shit out of it and really got to know it. What would happen is that I would hear a song on the radio, buy the album, grudgingly listen to whatever was in front of the song I wanted to hear, play the song I did want to hear over and over till I was sick of it, and then give the rest of the album a chance. Often times, the songs I grew to love the best never got radio play. I would then pour over the liner notes, memorize lyric sheets if they had them, etc. I really, really miss that. Thanks to time management these days,most of my music listening in is the car. I don't even know the names to most tracks on the albums I have anymore.

I am going to devote each week to a specific album. This is all I will listen to for that week. I've tried to arrange these chronologically, so that I can experience the progression of both the genre and the bands performing in it. For some albums, I could only find a year so I made up a month for it. There are a lot of bands I'd like to include, but I'm limiting it to ones I've never owned an album by or ones I've never really heard before.

I plan on buying each album via iTunes or Amazon. If you think there is a better way to compensate the artists or their estates or whatever, feel free to let me know. I'd be more than happy to steal an album but buy some merch if that would better compensate someone.

Here's the list:
    1977:
    May- The Jam In the City
    September - The Boomtown Rats The Boomtown Rats
    November - The Jam This Is the Modern World

1978:
    June - Magazine Real Life
    June - The Boomtown Rats Tonic for the Troops
    November - Tubeway Army Tubeway Army
    November - Siouxsie and the Banshees The Scream
    November - The Jam All Mod Cons
    December - Public Image LTD First Issue

1979:
    March - Magazine Secondhand Daylight
    April - Tubeway Army Replicas
    June - Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
    September - Gang of Four Entertainment
    September - Siouxsie and the Banshees Join Hands
    October - The Boomtown Rats Fine Art of Surfacing
    November - The Jam Setting Sons
    November - Public Image LTD Metal Box
    December - Japan Quiet Life

1980:
    May - Magazine Correct Use of Soap
    June - The Vapors New Clear Days
    July - Joy Division Closer
    August - Siouxsie and the Banshees Kaleidoscope
    November - The Jam Sound Affects
    November - Japan Gentlemen Take Polaroids

1981:
    January - The Boomtown Rats Mondo Bondo
    March - Gang of Four Solid Gold
    April - Public Image Ltd Flowers of Romane
    June - Magazine Magic, Murder and the Weather
    June - The Vapors Magnets
    June - Siouxsie and the Banshees Juju
    July - Mission of Burma Signals, Calls, & Marches
    November - New Order Movement
    November - Japan Tin Drum

1982:
    January - The Boomtown Rats V Deep
    March - The Jam The Gift
    March - Gang of Four Songs of the Free
    July - Mission of Burma Vs.
    November - Siouxsie and the Banshees A Kiss in the Dreamhouse

1983:
    March - Gang of Four Hard
    May - New Order Power, Corruption & Lives

1984:
    May - The Boomtown Rats Long Grass
    June - Siouxsie and the Banshees Hyaena
    July - Public Image Ltd This is What You Want...This is What You Get
    October - Tubeway Army The Plan

1985:
    April - Siouxsie and the Banshees Tinderbox
    May - New Order Low-Life

1986:
    February - Public Image Ltd Album
    September - New Order Brotherhood

1988:
    September - Siouxsie and the Banshees Peepshow

1989:
    January - New Order Technique

There are only 50 albums. That leaves two slots for you to recommend. There are a few artists that are off limits though. Psychadelic Furs, The Cure, Talking Heads, Devo, The Smiths, and WHAM.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 24 Jan 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Hm. If you're going to listen to Japan, starting with Quiet Life, me personally I would skip Tin Drum and listen to Gentlemen Take Polaroids. I think it's their best. For a treat, play Quiet Life followed by Duran Duran's first album (and I'm being serious.)

And might I recommend OMD's Architecture and Morality?

4. Gentlemen Take Polariods is there buddy! I'm basically listening to every bands entire catalog, up to a point. Sadly, most of these bands died in 83 or 84.
    I will take OMD into consideration!

You should listen to Magnets. It is WAY different from New Clear Days, but still good. Ignore the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I plan on buying each album via iTunes or Amazon. If you think there is a better way to compensate the artists or their estates or whatever, feel free to let me know. I'd be more than happy to steal an album but buy some merch if that would better compensate someone.
    Mail them a cheque. Apple takes thirty cents on the dollar (sometimes more!), and the label takes the rest of it. Don't support a dying industry full of liars and charlatans. IMO of course.

In before faggots: I'm not advocating piracy, I'm advocating ethics.

6. Both New Clear Days and Magnets are on the list, I will listen to both. (Is no one looking at the list?)

Click for full size

Listen to their Live at the BBC joint. They play versions of songs that crush the album versions. They might be the tightest band ever to play a show.

It's a bootleg. Do you use dropbox?

9. The Queen is De-
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    There are a few artists that are off limits though... The Smiths

How about Echo and the Bunnymen? Ocean Rain and Crocodiles know what your body wants.

10. I have Heaven Up Here and Porcupine...I really would rather bands I have nothing of.
    BUT I WILL NOTE IT!