Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: Happy New (Wave) Year!

1. Very interesting.
    Still, not my point.

Let's say the record companies have been in big business for the last 50 years.
    In all that time, no one (perhaps a former artist) has said, "hey, these contracts suck shit. I'm going to start a label and do things more fairly!"?

Also: one article and the video both stated that very, very few albums do any kind of significant sales (I believe the figure was only 2.9% do more than 5,000 in sales). The recording business needs to make a shit ton of money off of the one act that sold to make up for all the money it put into the 29 acts that didn't.
    Is it fair? No. But it is liberal.

I forgot we were arguing in here. Wanna argue more via email? Or maybe a mod can split this off into the "purchase ethics bitch club"?

3. Email doesnt leave room for others to participate.
    Leave it here, no one is talking about The Jam anyway.

I would like to talk about the Jam. I enjoy that they took the energy of punk rock, and combined it with 60's mod and pop influences. The only band that did it better from that time period is the Buzzcocks, which were unfortunately lumped in with all the shit punker music coming out of England in that time period.

I ignored the Buzzcocks for almost 20 years because I thought they were just another bunch of punker knobs.

5. I've been listening to Joy Division/New Order the past week or so. I kind of hated it ten years but now I dig it. I like it when my tastes change. I need to revisit everything.