Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 689101112 LastLast

Thread: Gohan's Project Work Log

1. Is there a way to tell outside of tearing it down? All these years later, and I just learned about the sticker differences for VA4 and the non-TMSS original.

They are both model 2 systems, you can tell a VA2.0 by looking in the cart slot. There is a blue wire that goes under the cart slot connector. The 2.8 you can't tell unless the system is apart.

Neither system is particularly desirable to most people, they aren't the "good" model 2's like the VA3 and VA4. The reason I want one is that the 2.0 with a MegaAmp installed is my favorite sounding Genesis, but mine died.

3. A few weeks ago I got in a 7800 that seemed to work alright, but had a really awful picture. I'd heard that doing an AV mod was stupid easy, so I looked at eBay for a kit. Got one for $10 shipped.
    While some people opt to leave the RF modulator in the system and just break off the pins I thought that since it didn't work well there was no point in leaving it. So I removed it. It's also common practice to drill holes in the system case for the three RCA jacks to be installed. I thought, why put holes in the case when I have two already (one from the phono out and one from the channel switch). I also don't see why people run two audio jacks when the system is mono. I took an old atari cart that didn't work and took it apart so I could cut an "L" bracket out of the shell in order to hold my two RCA jacks. I like that if for some crazy reason this had to go back to stock, it could. No holes drilled, no parts ruined. I used hot glue on my bracket so it can be removed as easily as it went in.

Two weeks ago, I got a 2600 that had a shitty picture. Ordered another mod kit. Same deal as with the 7800 as far as properly removing what needed to be removed and not just cutting lines and resistors. Unlike the 7800 though, there were no easy places to put the two RCA jacks. I spent a few minutes staring at the motherboard and was about to throw in the towel and grab a drill when I looked at the spot where the phono jack used to be soldered to the board. I thought, why can't I do the same sort of thing, except instead of a phono jack, use a 3.5mm jack?

I had an old Game Boy Color board that was no good laying around so I stole the headphone jack off it. Here's where things got problematic. I don't know shit about electronics. All the fucking around I've done with soldering and modding has only been accomplished thanks to tutorials on youtube and whatnot with nicely detailed steps. I googled the schematic for the headphone jack (which had 5 leads on it) and found that listed ground, left in, right in, micro switch a, and micro switch b. I understood the first three things well enough, and figured there'd be no issue subbing video in for the left in. Had no idea what the switch crap was about. So I soldered my ground, video, and mono sound to the appropriate leads. Threw a 3.5mm male to dual male RCA cord into the system and turned it on. Of course I got neither picture nor sound. Did a little more googling and came up empty handed. Then asked an expert and was ignored, which is fine. Finally I came across another diagram that labeled the five leads as ground, left in, right in, left out, and right out. EUREKA~

I thought as long as my signals were going in, the output was inside the jack itself, which the cord would feed into. Apparently not. I ran a wire from my left in to my left out and did the same with the right in and right out. Plug my cord in again and powered it up. Crisp/ Clean audio and video were my reward.

I really like the idea of my mod sort of replicating the "hardwired but not really" AV out of the original design. I really, really like the idea of not having to drill holes into the case. And again, everything I did could be put back to stock if it ever needed to be and aside from new solder, you'd never be able to tell it was messed with to begin with. (I've since ordered a nicer cord, so don't judge me based on the one sorta corroded one I had lying around).

I also don't like how some people leave a rat's nest of wiring inside their mods, so I made it nice and tidy.

That is nice work both in idea and execution.

5. Good call on removing the useless RF hardware.
    When I modded my friend's 2600, I used an AV cable from a shitty plug and play so that I wouldn't have to install any jacks. The over-molded part of the cable fit perfectly where the RF channel switch was.

Very nice. I've become a fan of using 3.5mm jacks over rca connectors too. It's a lot neater.

I have a 2600 with a RGB mod chip sitting in a drawer that I may get around to someday. I really want to play some Kaboom. Why RGB mod a 2600?

'cause, nigga. I CAN.

7. The 3.5mm jacks that can handle stereo audio as well as video would be handy. I think there are some that have even more contacts. I remember some portable had a 3.5mm jack that could output component. PSP maybe?

8. it also had a little board that interfaced with the psp so I think there was more going on there than just a 3.5mm jack that had a tip and six rings on it.

9. That's probably the case. I don't know much about it.
    Six rings is enough to get you RGB and mono audio, or stereo if the video is SoG.

10. Unless someone makes something proprietary, these things cap out with the TRRRS standard which has 5 conductors. Which again would work fine with RGB/Mono SoG signal.
    Interesting...