Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Gohan's Project Work Log

calling it now, cam girls scanning body parts and selling copies

2. Paul Pope's comic "100%" was about strippers with internal organ scans projected onto holograms, I figure that's not far off. "Gastro Clubs".

But I digress.

SWEET PROJECT GOHAN!
    Last edited by YellerDog; 11 Aug 2014 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Back in the lab...

The Neptune was more or less an experiment to see if I could, in fact, build one. It used a crappy spare parts board and 32x I had laying around. Being a VA0 motherboard, the sound sucked ass. I attempted to install a Mega Amp into it, but something didn't work, and rather than troubleshoot it I just removed the 32x from it entirely. Next comes...

Neptune MK 2!

My ultimate goal was to make a Neptune out of the VA3 Genesis that SSJN gave me a while back, so I could have one with good sound. So, I moved the 32x over to the VA3. It's actually easier to do on the newer boards, more space under the hood and you don't have to relocate the voltage regulator. Put it together, and YAY! Works great, and good sound. But, when I was troubleshooting the Mega Amp in the MK 1 I took apart that other Genesis I installed a Mega Amp into a few weeks ago, and I noticed I had not set up the audio filter correctly. I thought it sounded pretty good before, but not quite as good as the VA3. I corrected the filter, hooked it up and tried it out. It was AMAZING and blew the audio of the VA3 away. So...

Neptune MK 3!

My goal here was to take my Mega Amped VA2 motherboard, and drop the 32x in there. I'm not sure they'd fit together, or that the Mega Amp would work with the 32x at all without major fiddling. Well, the space is even more cramped than before, but the case just barely squeezes together. Best thing, it all works! I'm thinking this one will be my ultimate Genesis, as it has clear RGB video, the best audio I've ever heard out of a Genesis, and works with 32x games. More testing is required though before I decide for sure if the MK 2 or the MK 3 is the better unit.

No pics this time, I haven't finished prepping the cases so it wouldn't look any different from the last one. I'm still trying to figure out how to add the cart slot flaps without it looking ghetto as hell. I'm not certain I can even make them fit in the MK 3 since it's so tight in there. In before your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Learned something valuable today. Cheap capacitors suck ass. Inspired by Melf's recent haul, I recapped my Majesco Game Gear using a cap kit from Console5.com. The thing wouldn't even turn on at first, and I figured it was a bad (new) cap in the power board, replaced it with the old one and it fired right up. But, the screen wasn't all that great, the audio was scratchy. I wasn't 100% sure if it was the caps or if it was just the Game Gear, since I haven't had a functional one in years. So, I hop on Mouser and pay too much for some ceramic and tantalum caps.

My other GG is a piece of shit. It's beat up, worn, filthy, won't even turn on. And when I opened it up, that terrible cap juice smell assaulted me. Nice guinea pig. I give the parts a good cleaning, replace the caps with the good ones, clean the LCD screen and replace the screen lens with one of those ebay suckers. This thing is once again a nice little handheld, and the screen and sound are quite a bit better than the Majesco unit, and it really shouldn't be as Majescos have newer, better LCD screens in them. If I had a source of button contact pads this thing would seem like it was brand new.

I never did post a pic of the finished Neptune, it's much nicer than my prototype.

I still need a VA2 motherboard to complete my MK3, which will be the "Ultimate Genesis" to me. So, it's on the backburner.

In other news, messing with the Game Gear has also led me to plug up the Master System again, so I dug out the SMS that ~ Nomi ~ gave me several years back and threw some svideo and audio jacks on it. Surprisingly, svideo on this thing is absolutely incredible.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/att...4&d=1412441445

Ah, but I'm not done yet...

I've been waiting on this one for a couple of weeks. That beat up piece of shit GG I spoke of a few posts ago? It's pretty fucking badass now. I put the GG to TV board and a LCD replacement screen. I also swapped the contact pads of the buttons with my Majesco unit (which was basically new) for a better feel.

Both of the above are SMS games, which is primarily what I will use this for. Unfortunately, actual Game Gear games show up very small on the screen, and at this point there's nothing to be done about it.

All in all, this is a pretty great mod, although the screen itself isn't all that good. It's a huge improvement over the original, but it pulls its signal from composite and it shows. The GG TV board is capable of svideo and RGB, but it seems all these 3.5 inch boards just use composite. Also, it's a touch on the dark side, and there is a small bright spot at the bottom of the screen, but it's outside of the display area since SMS games are slightly letterboxed. This was the recommended screen for this and Nomad mods though, maybe something better will pop up in the future.

7. Next put a 32X in a Nomad.

Yeah, not gonna happen.

9. That is sweet. I should do the same to my Nomad.

I'm thinking of doing that too. It is a hell of a lot easier to do a Nomad.

Looks like my Game Gear gets a little over 5 hours play on a set of rechargeables. Not too shabby.