Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift

1. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    That game in a game is genius. The wait for this thing is killing me!

The next gen consoles can go eff themselves. A modest bump in graphics for a huge bump in me having less money means that I can't really give a rat's ass about buying a new console any time soon.

But this whole new level of immersion... Yeah. I quiver with anticipation over this one.

It's a shame this tech didn't come to daylight in time for the new consoles to be designed around it/packed in/mandatory support etc. That would have been a real next gen.
    You know Sony's got a similar unit on the way for a 2014 launch, right?

I agree they totally missed the boat on having this be a main selling point for the new consoles. I've been saying since before the Rift even came along that VR's finally in a place where it can done right and that it seems like a logical extension of the half-hassed motion stuff that blew up this gen with the Wii and Kinect. People want an intuitive, immersive experience and that appeal extends well beyond traditional gamers.

But if they get it out next year and it's done right and better than the Rift, Sony will still clean up and we'll see some good games start to support it.

2. I don't know, as much as multiplayer may be primarily online anymore I feel like consoles are still more like the systems set up in the open living room, where people play and do so while family and friends are still around. The almost sensory deprivation of a VR helmet doesn't seem to really match up. Maybe that's just the general marketing and set-top-box design speaking for me, but I would imagine that the Rift would do great on PC but not really so much on console.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I agree they totally missed the boat on having this be a main selling point for the new consoles.
    I don't know if they missed the boat. This tech is still in development and these consoles need to get out the door yesterday. The HMZ-T1 was probably the first acceptable HMD and it was still like an $800 thing 2 years ago.

The main selling point of consoles is cost-effectiveness, you're not going to move units by saying "buy this $400 console and then buy this $500 VR helmet"

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I don't know if they missed the boat. This tech is still in development and these consoles need to get out the door yesterday. The HMZ-T1 was probably the first acceptable HMD and it was still like an $800 thing 2 years ago.

The main selling point of consoles is cost-effectiveness, you're not going to move units by saying "buy this $400 console and then buy this $500 VR helmet"
    But the HMZ-T1 was not a serious effort and Oculus has shown you can make this thing for like $300 with off-the-shelf parts. Any previous products in this category have been jokes and shouldn't be part of the conversation. Oculus was able to swoop in because no one was even trying for real, including Sony with the T1/T2. No one even believed in the concept anymore.

The fact that what is essentially a hobby kit product like this is able to take the media and industry by storm is a testament to what low-hanging fruit this really was. If Sony actually wanted to solve this problem and put resources into making it high-quality and affordable in time for the PS4's launch, they absolutely could have.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I don't know if they missed the boat. This tech is still in development and these consoles need to get out the door yesterday.
    I don't know that they do. I'm good with the PS3 for another year or so. Did anybody play GTA 5 or Skyrim and lament that the experience wasn't vast enough? Even as it is, the vastness is held back by what a team of mere mortals can create before going crazy from modeling the 19,000th different tree.

Netfilx isn't going to be any different on a new console.

I already have a digital storefront, and the prospect of a new UI is not a system seller.

Really. I'm good for now. I see no reason why the next gen needed to be out yesterday.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    It's like a $300 VR helmet. And I would have had no problem with the next gen being, like, a $200 console with a $300 VR helmet, and then subsidized down to $400 total. Sort of like a WiiU that makes sense instead of being stupid.

Honestly, they could have kept the specs down. Just given a huge RAM upgrade and left the rest be or something like that. A VR helmet is a billion times the visual upgrade compared to a new shader or two.

In other words, I would not lament the absence of plentiful particle effects in my glorious new 3d fantasy reality.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 25 Sep 2013 at 12:44 PM.

7. Well, in fairness, rendering in stereoscopic 3D at 60Hz is going to take something more powerful than a Wii U.

8. I thought the PS3 already did stereoscopic rendering.

9. Sure, but not at 60fps per eye in 1080p.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The fact that what is essentially a hobby kit product like this is able to take the media and industry by storm is a testament to what low-hanging fruit this really was. If Sony actually wanted to solve this problem and put resources into making it high-quality and affordable in time for the PS4's launch, they absolutely could have.
    To be fair, Nintendo hadn't done it yet, so Sony didn't have anyone to copy from.