Page 50 of 81 FirstFirst ... 364648495051525464 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift

Like everything else, it's all about the exclusives. I am not fundamentally against buying both.

2. So I finally got to try the Rift for myself today. They had a DK2 based simulation to promote the movie Interstellar. It was basically an on-rails "float through" of the ship from Interstellar. They used a special chair that can kind of inflate to simulate weightlessness which is kind of cool.

The sense of presence was really strong at times, but there was no "body" in this simulation, which felt weird if I tried to look down, so I mostly avoided that. Similarly, leaning around floating objects felt really good, but if one passes through you or you try to reach out it's a little disturbing.

I had zero discomfort or motion sickness, which is a bit of a replied since I know some have a lower tolerance for VR.

I wanted to do the whole thing again afterwards but the line had gotten pretty long.

3. This thing came out Sunday:

http://digitalcybercherries.com/

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Wish there were videos of it. It's an arcade, modeled in UE4, that you can walk around in and play games in. The "arcade" games are actually just emulated GBC games, but the way the emulation is embedded into the engine itself is impressive and coupled with some neat visual filters. There are Game Boys scattered all around, too, each with a different game, and you have to carry them and hold them in a spot with proper lighting if you want to be able to see the screen. There's a boombox that streams in audio from streaming radio stations, and there are cassette tapes scattered around that you can jam into it for specific songs. Apparently all roms are downloaded by the software at runtime. There's also a working bowling alley, dartboard, and in-engine recreations of Asteroids and Flappy Bird (frr), too.

It's a really cool proof-of-concept if nothing else. They plan on releasing some of the source, including the emulation bits, so hopefully I can make some slick Famicom World VR app that scrapes the internet for box art to go along with a complete rom set, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewRetroArcadeHD_1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	75419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewRetroArcadeHD_2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	75420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewRetroArcadeHD_3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	75421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewRetroArcadeHD_4.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	616.0 KB 
ID:	75422  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewRetroArcadeHD_6.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	489.7 KB 
ID:	75423  
    Last edited by Tain; 04 Nov 2014 at 09:23 PM.

4. That looks really cool.

5. I can't wait until this is what MAME is

6. I can't wait to buy a $200 headset to play a $30 GameBoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    This thing came out Sunday:
    OMG, it's almost the Basement from Ready Player One.

Just let me customize my own room and invite my friends over, I'll be all over this kind of thing.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

Though not a perfect fit for GD, I found it interesting that nine of the 13 New Frontier movies at the Sundance Film Festival will be VR.