Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift

1. Digital Foundry Hands On

The low resolution and screen tech is a downside but some of that will be alleviated by the consumer version. We're also going to need new control methods and games to best take advantage of the device. Incredibly impressive otherwise.

2. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    The low resolution and screen tech is a downside but some of that will be alleviated by the consumer version.
    Alleviated somewhat, as the article points out that even the 1080p screens in the consumer version would be more like a 480p image. It's clear this thing needs something more like 4k.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 28 Apr 2013 at 01:58 PM.

3. Much as I hate to revert to 480p, I think I can live with that for now. If it's a choice between the Rift and PS4 for my hardware budget this fall, it's not one I'm going to have a hard time making. A new way of gaming vs same again but prettier is an easy decision.

James

4. 480p is good enough to replay older PC games.
    Doom, Quake, Descent, and Half-Life don't need to be HD.

5. I wonder how good downsampling a super high res image would look. Would it be worse?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I wonder how good downsampling a super high res image would look. Would it be worse?
    That's what FSAA is essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Alleviated somewhat, as the article points out that even the 1080p screens in the consumer version would be more like a 480p image. It's clear this thing needs something more like 4k.
    The resolution issue (as well as refresh speed and switching time) seems like the sort of thing that will be a lot better soon when companies actually start developing screens with this application in mind. That kind of pixel density is retarded for any other application and the fact that we even have screens as good as we do on cellphones is a testament to companies running out of features that matter and just selling bigger numbers.

The dev kit version is using a 7inch screen with 1280x800 resolution. There are now 4.5 inch screens that are full 1080p. If you had a 7 inch screen with a similar pixel density, it would be like 2580x1600 and things start looking a lot better. That's what I hope they do in the consumer version.

4K resolution on a 7 inch screen seems like a few years off, but I'm sure we'll get there.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Apr 2013 at 08:59 PM.

June cover of Edge:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EDG254.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	70112  

8. http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/43...s-rift-support

Half-Life 2 is the next Valve game to get OR support. A beta version is live now although it's reportedly less polished than TF2.

9. when do we get good games for it?

Didn't people just get the developer kits through the Kickstarter a few months back? As long as it takes to make a game and not just modify an existing one, I guess.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery