Page 1 of 81 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift

1. Oculus Rift

Most of you should be aware of what Oculus is doing in the VR field with their Rift. There has been a lot of new information and commentary on the tech since Oculus was showing the developer prototype at CES 2013.

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.
    Oculus webiste

A basic rundown of the idea and the CES tech demo they were letting people preview, Skip to 19:10 to see the Rift specific stuff and to see a pretty annoying guy experience it for the first time:

Here's a closed door talk with Oculus PR that gets into some of the technical stuff:

Below is a pretty enthusiastic discussion of some tech guys that demoed the unit at CES (starts at 35:30):

Two relevant Valve articles about VR:
    Resolution and VR
    Latency and VR

Can't wait to use this in Star Citizen and other software that is actually programmed to use the tech.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. Didn't we have a thread for this? Or was it all in the Kickstarter thread?

Anyway, I'm really glad this product is getting attention. VR was a good idea that we simply didn't have the tech to do right, and the fact that's laughed off as a gimmick now is a mistake. I think there's the potential to do really good VR at a very reasonable price now, and the Rift looks like a great start.

The fact that it requires that distorted fisheye projection is unfortunate, because it makes it useless as a 3D viewer or for watching anything filmed/pre-rendered that wasn't shot specifically for it. But this compromise allowed them to avoid expensive LEEP optics as well as use more readily available display panels, and it's not a big problem for first-person games, so it's probably a smart move, at least until shit gets cheaper.

3. So excited for this. Dorky, expensive, whatever. Engulf my vision.

The thought of artifact-free high-FOV 3D is more exciting to me than the responsive head tracking. I mean, the head tracking will be hugely immersive on top of the display for the games that support it, but even the thought of something like Outrun 2 or Afterburner Climax in this thing without head tracking is pretty thrilling. Hopefully that's not completely unfeasible to get working at a driver-level.

As for games that will fully support it, I'm most pumped for Star Citizen after playing Wing Commander.

4. It's really impressive to me to see people getting blown away by it all while sitting in, by today's standards, very low-tech graphical environments.

Yeah I think the original Rift mention here was in the KS thread. I did a couple searches beforehand and nothing really came up. The tech is a pretty big deal, as it sounds like something is finally delivering on what everyone has been dreaming about all this time for VR goggles. So yeah... I made a new thread.

Because I preordered a dev-kit, I thought I remember seeing a graphic of things they were planning on implementing with either the finalized version or future versions beyond that, that had some really cool ideas, but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking for it, and if it's official I'll come back and post it in here.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    Hopefully that's not completely unfeasible to get working at a driver-level.
    I think it could be pretty difficult, actually, because of the fisheye rendering thing, which supposedly uses some programmable shader stuff and not just a custom FOV. Like I said, this thing is probably not going to be a good 3D viewer, but there are already products like that out there.

This could be really awesome for adventure games and exploration based stuff.

6. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    The tech is a pretty big deal, as it sounds like something is finally delivering on what everyone has been dreaming about all this time for VR goggles.
    What's funny is that this leap is coming from a hacker/enthusiast, which is largely because no one had really been working on it in a long time. There have been virtually no noteworthy attempts to advance the ball on VR at all since the concept fell out of fashion in the late 90s, despite huge advances in motion tracking and display technology.

7. I'm planning to buy one when they hit production.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Didn't we have a thread for this? Or was it all in the Kickstarter thread?
    I had the same reaction, but I think I did post it in the Kickstarter thread.

9. I think where this thing is going to be wildest is in cockpit-based vehicular stuff, because it's able to reconcile the lack of positional movement and the fact that you're sitting down with the rest of the environment. Hawken could be pretty dope with this thing. Racing games, space games, etc too.

10. I'm really excited to eventually see this thing in use. I haven't been a fan of the VR fad, but I think this could be something amazing. I want a version of Fallout 3 using this.
    bastard of the new world order.