Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Severe Winter Storms Now Get Named Like Hurricanes

1. Severe Winter Storms Now Get Named Like Hurricanes

Similar to how tropical storms are named, the Weather Channel has taken up the task of naming severe winter storms. Only one of last winter's storms would likely have been named if this system were in effect. Ten named storms have happened already, so Khan would be the next.

The 2012-2013 list is:
    Athena, Brutus, Caesar, Draco, Euclid (that storm was the season's worst yet), Freyr, Gandolf, Helen, Iago (A Shakespearean villain, good name for a storm IMO), Jove, Khan (Genghis? Or more like... KHAAAAAAAN!), Luna, Magnus, Nemo, Orko, Plato, Q, Rocky, Saturn, Triton, Ukko, Virgil, Walda, Xerxes, Yogi, Zeus.

Perhaps this idea has been long overdue, but I'd have given some of the storms less heroic sounding names. Draco, Iago, and Khan are quite fitting. I'd have called the H storm Herod after the wicked mayor in The Quick & The Dead, and the J storm would've been Judas. V should be Vlad, for Vlad the Impaler.

This actually has precedent, since some agencies in Europe have done a similar thing for decades.

silliness

3. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Rocky
    Instead of Draco ... Drago imo.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. I must break you.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. If I can change, you (the climate) can change.

6. If they die. They die.

ITS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE A NOR'EASTER!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

They should call them cuss words.

Great idea!

"Superstorm Cuntnugget is heading for the northeast, prepare yourselves!"

thats what everyone affected calls them

10. The storms around here seem so weak anymore. We had those 3 blizzards in a 2 month period (2 of them were in the same week) in the Winter of 09/10. They were all pretty significant storms too, close to the biggest one I've ever seen that came in 1996. I believe they all exceeded 2 feet of snow and at least one was in around 3 feet or so. Seems like anything less than a foot now is pretty easy to deal with.
    Last edited by Gohron; 27 Jan 2013 at 10:49 PM.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453