Page 1 of 30 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouya Console Coming To Major Retailers

1. Ouya Console Coming To Major Retailers

Target, Amazon, GameStop, Best Buy, etc.

This is exciting news. I've got one friend who is developing on the console, and the Ouya is the major reason I'm looking at Android support. This may finally push me over the edge. The dream of a feasible open console may finally come true.
    bastard of the new world order.

2. The problem with Ouya is that between the time of the KS and now, the hardware has more or less gone obsolete. It's still cute as a competitor for Apple TV or Roku for gamers who want to play emulators and phone games but it's not much of a "console" you know? I doubt it's going to have much longevity.

It's pretty surprising that they are getting such widespread distribution. I might just grab one.

4. Are there any announced games for this besides Cannibalt and... Samurai Anime FPO Picture?

Who cares? Emubox.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Are there any announced games for this besides Cannibalt and... Samurai Anime FPO Picture?
    Every Android game with controller support. Which is most of them where that makes sense.

7. Kickstarter money well spent! BTW, this console looks crap. Those USB sticks would be better

8. No, that GameStick thing is a pile of shit. People who gave to that didn't research. It won't play games or emus for shit.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The problem with Ouya is that between the time of the KS and now, the hardware has more or less gone obsolete. It's still cute as a competitor for Apple TV or Roku for gamers who want to play emulators and phone games but it's not much of a "console" you know? I doubt it's going to have much longevity.
    The hardware may be weak, but it can run what's necessary. It's not meant to be an end-all unit. It's a console for indie developers to work with, despite some of the larger companies jumping in. I don't have the resources to develop anything you'd see on the Xbox 360. I do, however, have the resources to work with this. Plus, the key is design/content, versus hardware. So long as the thing can do powerful 2D on 1080p, I'm happy as a clam.

The biggest reason I've stayed away from Android is Google's ridiculous lack of control over hardware design. I don't have the time or energy to figure out why my game wouldn't run one somebody's shitty entry-level Android device. However, if I can guarantee a market of units of the same hardware, I can build and test on that hardware, and not worry about it flaking out due to worthless hardware configurations.

I'm excited. As an independent developer, this is a breakthrough. A console will be in stores that we can develop for without having to jump through ridiculous hoops. Finally, a foot in the door of the TV game market.
    bastard of the new world order.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The problem with Ouya is that between the time of the KS and now, the hardware has more or less gone obsolete. It's still cute as a competitor for Apple TV or Roku for gamers who want to play emulators and phone games but it's not much of a "console" you know? I doubt it's going to have much longevity.
    The analysis may be true but with regards to whether it will find success, I couldn't disagree more with your prognosis. If Ouya had to start at the bottom and expand outward based on performance at enthusiast-centric retailers, its success would have been a big question mark as enthusiasts may well have balked at the power of the hardware and it would have fizzled out before reaching wide distribution. But not having to count on that and reaching mainstream retailers right out the gate, they're golden. When Target and Walmart have got a $99 console sitting next to $200-250 ones (and quite possibly $400-500 ones this holiday), they're going to sell a fuckton of the $99 one.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 05 Feb 2013 at 10:33 AM.