Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

1. Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

This was mentioned in the Double Fine Adventure thread, but it should probably have its own thread.

Brian Fargo, founder of Interplay, has launched a Kickstarter campaign to revive Wasteland. For those that don't know, Fallout was created as an attempt to make a pseudo Wasteland 2 without the license, and the two series share the same spirit. This is probably as close as we're going to come to a new turn-based overhead Fallout again.

He's reunited some key members of the Wasteland and Fallout teams to work with inXile and set an ambitious goal of $900,000 (which would be augmented by a $100,000 contribution by Fargo himself if need be to make the budget an even million). This is a pretty massive target, but the project launched this morning and seems to be going at a pretty good pace.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Personally, I never got into Wasteland or 2D Fallout, nor do I have the level of confidence in inXile that I do in Double Fine, but I still really want to see this get done because it's such a passion project, and it's something a lot of people have been legitimately clamoring for.

2. I'm in and I still haven't played Wasteland. Space sims next pls.

BTW, the Fallout 1/2 and Torment composer is on-board. This is excellent news.

3. They could totally get a new Star Control done. Maybe even Freelancer, though they'd have to shoot pretty big for that.

4. I donated earlier today. Just the $15 basic, but that's fine for me. If I was really excited the $50 or $100 boxed would be irresistible.

James

5. Notch is putting his support behind this at least enough to tweet about it. So I fully expect it to succeed.

6. I'll pay for it when it's done and if it's good, thanks.

7. $400,000 since this morning. It looks like this is going to happen, and probably at the $1.5 million mark at least. With proper nurturing it might even get within range of the Double Fine one, because they really let it lag after the first week.

But we’re looking ahead to what we can do if you all back this project in force. At $1.25 million, the money will go primarily into making the world bigger, adding more maps, more divergent stories and even more music.

At $1.5 million, the world gets even bigger. You’ll have more adventures to play, more challenges to deal with, and a greater level of complexity to the entire storyline. We’ll add more environments, story elements, and characters to make the rich world come alive even more. We will even be able to bring Wasteland 2 to OS X for Mac lovers. And after $1.5 million the sky is the limit.
    So that should be fun.

James

8. Sometimes I love Internet.

9. Meh, it just won't be the same without T.S. Eliot at the helm.

I'm going to be broke if more of these get announced. Definitely going to kick in $15, and I might end up springing for the $50 box. Wasteland is one of the games that made me the gamer that I am today. The vivid and snarky text more than made up for the deficient (even at the time) graphics. The world was unlike almost any other seen in RPGs to date (though it was part of a larger trend towards non-stereotypical fantasy settings at the time, like the Asian-themed Moebius and its sequel, and Autoduel and Space Rogue). The amount of freedom offered was incredible, surpassing almost anything else. It may look hideous today, but I think that Wasteland still has the ability to captivate if you give it a chance. And I cannot wait for the sequel that isn't Fountain of Dreams.