Page 1 of 14 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: System Shock 2 (PC)

System Shock 2 (PC)

Credit to epmode for sharing that System Shock 2 is being re-released on Good Old Games tomorrow! However, this news is too big to bury in the GOG thread. This is one of the best games ever made, and everyone with really any modern-ish PC can and should play it. It was designed by Ken Levine and co-developed by Irrational Games and Looking Glass Studios (Warren Spector), so we're talking the holiest of marriages between the creators of Freedom Force and BioShock and those of Ultima Underworld and Thief.

Buy Planescape: Torment while you're there too.

For more information, here is a nice fan site with mods and more.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 13 Feb 2013 at 08:56 AM.

2. Ken Levine, Yoshi. Ken.

Yeah, this game is one of my top 3 of all time. Along with X-Com: UFO Defense and Dark Souls.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Fixed. Man I've been making some shitty typos lately. Thanks for the catch.

4. Fantastic news. I'm glad this didn't just end up being yet another fanboy rumor. And to have it happen so quickly after the official announcement is even better...it's been at the top of the GOG community's wish list for ages. This is gonna be big.

As I posted in the GOG thread, even though I already own the PC CD and jumped through the hoops required to get it to run on my box, I will still be buying this day one. Not only because it's a fantastic game, not only for the great bonus content GOG is sure to include (and to support a great company like GOG itself), but also because it'll be nice to have a version that works easily and correctly (I still have occasional music issues with the original version). Plus, I still haven't beaten SS2, so this is the perfect chance to start it all over again and do it properly this time.

I just wish I didn't already know about SHODAN's big reveal...
    Last edited by Dolemite; 22 Mar 2013 at 08:59 AM.

5. Right now there's a timer on GOG's front page saying "System Found!" According to the countdown, SS2 will be available 6am EST Thursday morning. Valentine's Day...how appropriate.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 13 Feb 2013 at 09:27 AM.

6. This game, along with Thief 1 and 2, forever cements Looking Glass as one of the all-time greats. You should probably play it.

7. Never played the Thief games. Why should I?

8. The sound design is at least as good as System Shock 2's and you get that same awesome floaty-ass movement (I'm being serious, I love it), only you are sneaking around complicated fantasy/medieval city maps and knocking dudes out and using all sorts of gadgets and getting into swordfights.

9. Cool.

10. The first Thief is worth playing just for Shalebridge Cradle.

SO CREEPY.