Page 4 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Destiny

1. Yeah but back then PC ports were less frequent. And I don't really do handhelds anymore.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Halo held up so well they already did a remake, right?
    It wasn't a remake as much as a graphics mod. All the physics, gameplay logic, and level design was exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    That year saw AvP2, Undying, Tribes 2, Ghost Recon, Serious Sam, Red Faction, etc. as well. I'm not a fan of all of those, but I'd take AvP2 and Undying over Halo all day, every day. And quick saving is a crutch, but regenerating health isn't?
    Yea, Halo is better than all of those

Oh - the problem with quicksaving is that developers can (and have) made really poorly balanced levels and just leaned on the fact that players will cheese through it. With regenerating health, developers can precisely design combat encounters to the flow and difficulty they want.

Hell I was playing Half-Life 2 not too long ago, virtually every large encounter ended with a huge stash of health packs around the corner. Same basic idea, worse implementation (since you need a pause in the action to replenish).

There's definitely a wrong way to do it (Resistance - terrible checkpointing and hybrid health system that is the worst of everything), but Halo got it right.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 18 Feb 2013 at 12:53 PM.

3. I like Halo's checkpoint focus but the shield does make for some annoying play. On higher levels, you're hiding behind boxes a whole lot and it's not even a cover shooter. It would have been more interesting if the shield only worked when you were out of combat.

4. Halo 1 still has better vehicle control than the vast majority of shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Yea, Halo is better than all of those
    To each his own. I would have disagreed in 2001 and still do.

Oh - the problem with quicksaving is that developers can (and have) made really poorly balanced levels and just leaned on the fact that players will cheese through it. With regenerating health, developers can precisely design combat encounters to the flow and difficulty they want.

Hell I was playing Half-Life 2 not too long ago, virtually every large encounter ended with a huge stash of health packs around the corner. Same basic idea, worse implementation (since you need a pause in the action to replenish).

There's definitely a wrong way to do it (Resistance - terrible checkpointing and hybrid health system that is the worst of everything), but Halo got it right.
    How are those thoughts not contradictory? Your argument against quick saving is that developers can fuck it up, and then you state that developers can also fuck up regenerating health. At least quick saving provides the player an option.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Halo 1 still has better vehicle control than the vast majority of shooters.
    This I buy, because M/Kb is far from ideal for vehicle control. It was the thing that killed GTA3 on PC for me at the time.

edit: But this isn't a Halo thread, so I'm going to drop this here and just return to my original statement that Bungie's comments are baseless arrogance, and they would have been better off not even trying to justify the lack of a PC announcement.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    At least quick saving provides the player an option.
    That option should be difficulty selection, performed at the title screen.

8. Even on PC, it works beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    That option should be difficulty selection, performed at the title screen.
    I more meant that you didn't have to abuse it, but clearly reducing the incentive to abuse helps too.

10. I know what you meant, but if there was no quick-saving then the difficulty of player choice would be set and consistent. The developers would never even consider level mechanics to counter abuse in the first place. I do like quick-saving in various games, but usually when I have a problem it stems from something annoying like having a checkpoint before ten minutes of weak trash monsters leading to the one guy that actually makes me put forth effort.