Page 62 of 122 FirstFirst ... 485860616263646676 ... LastLast

Thread: Destiny

1. Picked this up. Seems pretty decent so far (level 5, only playing on hard) but way too heavy a reliance on monster closets. There also strangely seems to be a dearth of loot in this loot game.

2. I'm interested in what you end up thinking of this. I wonder if you'll be intrigued or horrified by the systems. I predict that you'll be done with it really quick.

It has MMO and loot grind aspects, but distilled down so much that it's shockingly blunt. I still play this every day, sadly.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

3. I've jumped back in for the grind to 32.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Darmonde View Post
    I'm interested in what you end up thinking of this. I wonder if you'll be intrigued or horrified by the systems. I predict that you'll be done with it really quick.

It has MMO and loot grind aspects, but distilled down so much that it's shockingly blunt. I still play this every day, sadly.
    I predict the same, but not because of it shoving the grind up front. It's just kind of an overall bland game with boring areas, boring guns where even new versions just add +5 damage, and ridiculous cooldowns on the special abilities to where they barely get used. It's a mostly good framework in search of a reason to give a shit and someone to make the game exciting, like the first Borderlands was.

That said, I'm holding off on judgement because I know these sorts of games tend to open up and get better at max level, where builds can reduce cooldowns to the point of being worthwhile and there's more variety in what you're going after loot-wise. From what I've gathered (could be wrong since I haven't gotten that far myself) I'm pretty sure Bungie went after the wrong idea here, where PVE is just a max-level kill the final bosses to get loot and be done with the game sort of thing like standard MMOs. Loot games tend to work out much better when they're built around an endless farm with randomized layouts that emphasize unique loadouts and customized builds, instead of a WoW style do the raid and turn it off for the week. But of course, high levels of variety and customization tend to wreck havoc with PVP, and their generic normalization helps to ensure a flatter playing field there.

The AI is definitely pretty decent with the enemies running away to hide for recharging shields and having a good idea of when to push and overwhelm vs. when to hang back, but there's always invisible limiters to their wandering range that make for easy exploits and some of the animations are just too predictable. I definitely like that they went the Uncharted/Rage way of enemies scrambling around, which gives them a little more life and helps them be a little harder to hit when running around, but it also makes me wish they also had stuff like when downed-but-not-out Rage enemies would continue to shoot at you while crawling away.

5. All of the gameplay that you're describing feels fine to me, and I honestly don't give it a moments thought. It's the max level content/system that I'm curious about.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

6. I still play the game, but since work picked up not as much.

See also: 360

@Mech: The game IS BLAND, but when you play with a group or at least ONE other person. The game is much more enjoyable.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Korly, myself and 4 others decided on a whim to go into the new raid blind. It was fun! Reminded me of WoW progression raids, but only 5 other people to get mad at instead of 39. This one had a lot more than defend the conflux, pick up the relic. There were mechanics that if not done correctly punish you pretty hard. I dig it.

8. I thought it was a lot of fun. I really love that game. Maybe because there's something for me to do every day (not necessarily something new, but there are daily and weekly challenges that either give good rewards or progression toward something good). The core game is so fun, and it's my favorite PvP shooter in years because I don't suck at it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    @Mech: The game IS BLAND, but when you play with a group or at least ONE other person. The game is much more enjoyable.
    Exactly why I think it was a stupid idea to split the player base into four separate groups just because pixels.

10. What are you playing it on? Sam and Don have it on 360.