Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Game Club 2.0

TNL Game Club 2.0

I was a fan of the original TNL Game Club, so I'd like to try to rekindle it. However, I want to make it more inclusive and/or flexible. Instead of choosing a specific game, I propose we choose a year, probably between 1985 and 2010, although I could be sold on going all the way to 2012. I think we should also expand the cycles from two weeks to a month to accommodate certain genres and to give busy people more of a chance. Years can obviously be repeated, but let's try not to do that back-to-back. Remember to create a new thread

I'll start us off by using Excel's RANDBETWEEN function on 1985-2010 to pick a year and start the March thread on Friday. Please sign up to pick the year for future cycles. I'll keep the list in this post for future reference:

TNL Game Club 2.0 Schedule
    March, 2013: Yoshi (1998)
    April, 2013: Timber
    May, 2013: bbobb
    June, 2013: sleeve
    July, 2013: Opaque
    August, 2013: No One
    September, 2013: GohanX
    October, 2013: Tain
    November, 2013: Chaoofnee
    December: Frogacuda
    Last edited by Yoshi; 01 Mar 2013 at 10:08 AM.

2. I'm in.

Although we should avoid huge RPGs or anything that's going to take 30+ hours to finish.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

3. Not sure how the year thing will work but I'm game for trying
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I predict lots of Jap garbage

5. I thought the whole point of these things was for everyone to experience and discuss the same game at the same time. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of people shouting their experiences into a void instead of getting into the nuts and bolts of a particular title.

Of course, a game club can be whatever you want it to be. But this doesn't sound terribly different from your standard What Are You Playing Season 20XX thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. Count me in!

I support the selection of one particular game per month.

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    I predict lots of Jap garbage
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. I'm in again.

What do you mean choose a year instead of a specific game, though? Do I pick 1995 and people just spend the month playing whatever games they want which came out in 1995?

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I'm in again.

What do you mean choose a year instead of a specific game, though? Do I pick 1995 and people just spend the month playing whatever games they want which came out in 1995?
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I thought the whole point of these things was for everyone to experience and discuss the same game at the same time. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of people shouting their experiences into a void instead of getting into the nuts and bolts of a particular title.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I support the selection of one particular game per month.
    Here is the problem with the prior approach:

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    I predict lots of Jap garbage
    What I expect to happen in practice is that a small handful of games get chosen with a few people of like interests playing each. TNL circa 2013 isn't like TNL circa 2000. I think we'd be hard pressed to name half a dozen games everyone likes in total, let alone one every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I'm in.

Although we should avoid huge RPGs or anything that's going to take 30+ hours to finish.
    The expanded time is supposed to help with that, but so will the multiple choices.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Not sure how the year thing will work but I'm game for trying
    Just for clarity, are you volunteering to choose or just saying you'll play? I want to make sure I don't leave you out if it's the former.

I was all for a game a month last time. People are busy. Assholes were like wah wah then I have to wait half a year for my turn? Who cares?

I'd rather we pick one game and talk about it as we play through it.

You can do that is the point I'm trying to make. Once the year is posted, which should include suggestions, people are going to say "I'm going to play XYZ." If that game is of interest to you, jump on board and discuss it. But when Xenogears was picked last time, the whole thing fell apart if I am remembering right. I'll speak for myself in that there is no way I am making that kind of investment in a genre I don't like. And I'm sure Andrew is near polar opposite for example. If I pick XCOM, he's going to bail.