Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 198

Thread: What I Learned Today

  1. #1

    What I Learned Today

    Some dumb radio talk shows do this bit at the end of a show. I think it's a good premise though.
    Post something that you learned today.
    In doing some reading for my Comp class, I learned that in 1863, a riot started at a Provost Marshal's office in mid-Manhattan. Draft numbers were being drawn (for the Civil War), and people went nuts. They threw bricks through the office windows, beat up the people who were in the office, and rampaged through town. "It (the mob) set fires and lynched as many black people as it could lay its hands on. It burned down a black orphanage and did its best to destroy the people who came out of the burning building." In a week's time, about 1000 people were badly wounded or killed.


  2. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Some dumb radio talk shows do this bit at the end of a show. I think it's a good premise though.
    Post something that you learned today.
    In doing some reading for my Comp class, I learned that in 1863, a riot started at a Provost Marshal's office in mid-Manhattan. Draft numbers were being drawn (for the Civil War), and people went nuts. They threw bricks through the office windows, beat up the people who were in the office, and rampaged through town. "It (the mob) set fires and lynched as many black people as it could lay its hands on. It burned down a black orphanage and did its best to destroy the people who came out of the burning building." In a week's time, about 1000 people were badly wounded or killed.
    Not in the morally impeccable north...

  3. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Some dumb radio talk shows do this bit at the end of a show. I think it's a good premise though.
    Post something that you learned today.
    In doing some reading for my Comp class, I learned that in 1863, a riot started at a Provost Marshal's office in mid-Manhattan. Draft numbers were being drawn (for the Civil War), and people went nuts. They threw bricks through the office windows, beat up the people who were in the office, and rampaged through town. "It (the mob) set fires and lynched as many black people as it could lay its hands on. It burned down a black orphanage and did its best to destroy the people who came out of the burning building." In a week's time, about 1000 people were badly wounded or killed.
    Has anyone wrote a book about all that stuff? Maybe call it "the racist north" ?

    It would be an easy way to get on the Colbert Report.

  4. #5
    I also learned that the North had a $300 get out of the draft deal. That made it fair and equitable for everyone ($300 was about a full year's income for an unskilled laborer).
    If you were only mildly rich, and not incredibly so, you could hire a substitute to take your place. Lincoln did this, but more as a gesture of support. He didn't have to worry about being drafted.

  5. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Has anyone wrote a book about all that stuff? Maybe call it "the racist north" ?

    It would be an easy way to get on the Colbert Report.
    This is all from an excerpt of Bruce Catton's Reflections on the Civil War. I only had to read a chapter, but it's very engrossing and written in common vernacular and not stuffy historian speak.

  6. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Has anyone wrote a book about all that stuff? Maybe call it "the racist north" ?

    It would be an easy way to get on the Colbert Report.
    Yes, that's certainly the goal of every hard hitting author.

  7. #8
    To get fame and make enough money to eat and continue writing?

    its better than getting rich with rich dad poor dad books

  8. Daily Show and Colbert interviews are two of the best short segment style interviews an author could hope for.

  9. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    Daily Show and Colbert interviews are two of the best short segment style interviews an author could hope for.
    For sales maybe. Some people don't write to sell a million copies though. Hell, I'm not sure how much of the Daily Show and Colbert audience is literate.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Games.com logo