Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN 4, er, 5 (FC, NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA Clone w/ HDMI)

RetroN 4, er, 5 (FC, NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA Clone w/ HDMI)

Quote Originally Posted by Press Release
    HYPERKIN TO REVEAL NEW RETRON 4 SYSTEM AT MIDWEST GAMING CLASSIC
    A Modern Retro Console that plays NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA Cartridges.

EL MONTE, CA (MARCH 2013) – Hyperkin will be unveiling their new console, the RetroN 4, at this year's Midwest Gaming Classic at the Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel in Brookfield, Wisconsin, on Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM CST. The RetroN 4 plays NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA cartridges all in one convenient console.

The RetroN 4 will have four cartridge slots as well as two controller ports for each system, allowing for users to use their original controllers. What will differentiate the Retron 4 from other iterations of retro consoles currently in the market are several key additions that add a modern twist. The RetroN 4 will have an HDMI output, which will allow for users to play their games on high-definition televisions. When users boot up the machine, they will find the "Perdana" digital user interface which opens a wide variety of modern gaming features such as selecting systems, button reassignment and other features that will be named at the Midwest Gaming Classic. The console will also allow users to play both NTSC and PAL cartridges and will incorporate Bluetooth technology, with a completely new, redesigned wireless Bluetooth controller.

"We have had great success with the SupaBoy and RetroN 3, and we wanted to create an entirely new console that has the modern amenities that will allow users to utilize current technology," stated Steven Mar, Hyperkin's Executive Director. "As this is an ambitious project for Hyperkin, our goal for this system is to combine modern gaming convenience to not only cater to the retro gaming community, but to also introduce a new generation of gamers to the classic games that have shaped the present gaming landscape."

RetroN 4 Points of Interest:
    · 2 Original Controller Ports for Each Platform (6 Total)
    · Wireless Bluetooth Controller
    · 4 Cartridge Ports for NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA cartridges
    · HDMI Output with Digital Signal Conversion
    · "Perdana" Digital User Interface
    · PAL and NTSC compatible

More details of the RetroN 4 will be announced during Hyperkin's presentation at the Midwest Gaming Classic.
    I'm definitely interested, as they seemed to have learned from some of their RetroN 3 mistakes, like wrongly mapped buttons. I'll be very curious to see how the HDMI works and whether there is any lag.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 24 Mar 2013 at 10:28 AM.

2. I'll let others test it, but the HDMI does intrigue me.

3. Anyone playing this shit on an hdtv already loses.

4. I'll be selling at the Midwest Gaming Classic later in the month. I'll try to check it out but if they've only got it out during the vendor hall hours I'll probably have a hard time getting free time to go see it.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Anyone playing this shit on an hdtv already loses.
    Ordinarily, I'd say anyone not playing in RGB loses, but HDMI has never been an option before, and NES RGB is ridiculously complicated/expensive.

edit: Honestly, it's storing the damn cartridges that drives me nuts. We need equivalents to the Genesis Classics on Steam for every vintage console.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 05 Mar 2013 at 06:13 PM.

6. it's why i think emulation is okay sometimes BUT I DON'T SUPPORT IT, BECAUSE IT'S BAD AND OBAMA WILL GET YOU
    Donk

+1 interest.

Judging from the description, I am guessing this will use an emulator as opposed to console-on-a-chips, for better or worse. Still, every clone maker has fucked at least one thing up, so we'll see.

I still want a portable SNES that doesn't suck.

8. KIND OF interested in this, but these clones seen to be too iffy with either emulator quality or with build quality to be worth their asking price.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Step 1 buy Ouya
    Step 2 get emulator software
    Step 3 put every game on the Ouya
    Step 4 enjoy

Why bother with this thing?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX
    Judging from the description, I am guessing this will use an emulator as opposed to console-on-a-chips, for better or worse. Still, every clone maker has fucked at least one thing up, so we'll see.
    Yeah. If this supports HDMI out, what are the chances that it's actually natively executing the games? This sounds like emulation, and if that is indeed the case then a PC would probably do a better job after the right configuration.