Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Love and Hate: RPGs

1. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I think this can work in a few very limited situations. Ultima works because the Avatar is supposed to be you, transported from your comfortable home on Earth to Britannia.
    Myst worked very well, too. But in general I hate the silent protagonist shit. I'm sure not having to write a line of dialogue or glimpse of personality for the main character is tantalizing for lazy developers, but it's really gay and annoying for the player.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I think this can work in a few very limited situations. Ultima works because the Avatar is supposed to be you, transported from your comfortable home on Earth to Britannia.
    Even though this may make sense in terms of narrative, it's still way less interesting to me than a real character.

3. Main characters are mostly horrible. It's better when they don't talk.
    Donk

4. Agreed. See Tales of the Abyss.

Main guy Redhair McWhinesman doesn't shut his mouth EVER. Worst thing is when the game uses some JRPG trope HE gets angry. Why makes jokes about how annoying the mascot character is? Why not just... Leave out the annoying mascot character instead?

5. I can play SMT games because the protagonist knows when to shut up (always). Don't take that away from me.
    Donk

6. Luke was hilarious in the first half of ...Abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Agreed. See Tales of the Abyss.

Main guy Redhair McWhinesman doesn't shut his mouth EVER. Worst thing is when the game uses some JRPG trope HE gets angry. Why makes jokes about how annoying the mascot character is? Why not just... Leave out the annoying mascot character instead?
    it is probably a good thing that nier US was only about the dad then