Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1424262728293032 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XV (PS4, Xbone, Windows, Fuck You Yoshi Edition)

1. I've decided the combat system is crap.
    I'm still playing it an hour or two during the day, but I find myself looking for more and more projects to do instead of playing this. I wish I could like it as much as I want to like it.

2. I think it amounts to 'turn-based baby's first action game.' It's not poor, but it does take the expectation of timed execution out of the equation, making it easier for people who have never played (or sucked at) Bayonetta, et al a shot to still enjoy Roadtrip Bros Anime Adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. I think that's accurate. I need to tell myself to hold the button down instead of tapping each time.

4. I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys about the battle system not being great, even though I just barely started warming up to the battle system almost 20 hours in. But the caveat is that I started playing on Wait mode, because I was trying to play with remote play on Vita. Also, there's some stuff that took me a while to figure out like I should've spent AP on the team abilities early on because they allow the guys to heal themselves and whatnot (which they should've done by default).

If you haven't tried wait mode, it's basically the same except for when you stop moving the battle pauses which allows you to switch lock on targets, use items, use team mode moves, and use Libra to see enemy health and weaknesses. IMO, this is should be the default with the game but I know they're trying so hard to mass appeal this game. It feels a lot more like FF12's battle system, they even have the arcs showing who's attacking who.

It's kinda sad because it's taken so long, but I'm finally getting used to the quirks of the battle system and with the last boss I finished felt like I knew what I was doing. Add that on top of the amazing feeling of exploration this has, I think this has gotta be game of the year for me. I know The Last Guardian's shipping tomorrow but I'm still preparing myself for disappointment with that one, haha! I'm just so hooked on this game and know there will always be some mystery about it that I won't fully get. This game totally replicates that feeling of mastery that you get deep into a FF game, and then some.

My main complaints about the game is load times (I've got a disc version if that makes a diff) and the UI can be super confusing. Like you have to get in your car, to fast travel anywhere. If you have multiple sidequests, it'll only show info for one on the hud. It can be annoying trying to find a parking spot to fast travel to near the quest you're on (I actually think there's some bugs for this feature since it never centers the location on the map). There should be a faster way to re-equip magic, instead of digging around in Gear screen. I had a bug where I couldn't use the context "X" button for anything once I got in the car, and had to restart the game. Party members getting stuck elsewhere.

In spite of all my gripes, I still think it's amazing that the designed the UI/menus in an understandable way because of all the stuff in this game. It's a miracle it didn't turn out a lot worse. I don't even know where Final Fantasy should go from here. Maybe just more of this!

5. Huh, wow. Wait mode is a lot better.
    Donk

6. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Huh, wow. Wait mode is a lot better.
    Does it make the game play more like Final Fantasy? Or at least FFXII? I know I've harped on this before, but it's only because I care and I so badly want to believe.

I'm so excited for the exploration and story and characters, but the atrocious combat in the Duscae Whatever demo left me curled up in the corner, shivering and sucking my thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

7. It's set up really dumb. It makes it seem like wait mode is for babies, but you're sorely hindered if you dont use it.

8. Wait mode it shall be, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

9. Wait mode makes it pretty similar to FFXII. Though I miss the gambit system
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.