Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAA Wasteland

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    But pretending they're anything other than disposable testosterone-fueled power fantasies that tread the same familiar ground is a bit much.
    This is why you've never been asked to host a press event. You're a terrible salesman.

2. Oh shit!
    I am sorry James, these are not the droids you were looking for.

3. Hang on, guys, I think James is onto something here. A little more truth in advertising where all games should be marketed exactly as they are.

Cave: Yeah, we've got yet another shooter. That's... uh, that's it. We might've tweaked something about how you earn points but really it's all just a blur to our team these days.

Namco: Another Tales games, I guess. There's the usual bright colors and peppy good guys but it's still just throwaway JRPG crap. Buy it if you want. We don't care. Pick up a Tekken game while you're at it.

Atlus: Yet more Etrian games. You guys realize that these things are stupid easy to churn out since we don't even have to write anything for the characters or story, right? I mean, seriously, it's just grid crap. Don't get me wrong, we're all glad you people keep buying these rehashes of 20-year-old design that we fart out over the weekend, but you realize you're just wasting your life, right?

4. backfire

5. you could throw together a seriously ridiculous hyperbole video of chen, blow, mcmillen, and fish talking about their games

~d-tier wasteland~

6. McMillen doesn't strike me as hyperbolic or pretentious like that. He really just makes stuff he wants to make, and that's about it.

7. If anything those indie guys are worse by about a million times. They make barely 16-bit quality games and act like their shit don't stink.

8. To be fair, that glassy-eyed Infamous "I trusted cops... and then they tear-gassed me" lead-in was pretty much the worst intro to anything ever.

9. John Walker did this 'every AAA game is the same' article better on RPS

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Hang on, guys, I think James is onto something here. A little more truth in advertising where all games should be marketed exactly as they are.

Cave: Yeah, we've got yet another shooter. That's... uh, that's it. We might've tweaked something about how you earn points but really it's all just a blur to our team these days.

Namco: Another Tales games, I guess. There's the usual bright colors and peppy good guys but it's still just throwaway JRPG crap. Buy it if you want. We don't care. Pick up a Tekken game while you're at it.

Atlus: Yet more Etrian games. You guys realize that these things are stupid easy to churn out since we don't even have to write anything for the characters or story, right? I mean, seriously, it's just grid crap. Don't get me wrong, we're all glad you people keep buying these rehashes of 20-year-old design that we fart out over the weekend, but you realize you're just wasting your life, right?
    If Etrian Odyssey's advertising claimed it was a new paradigm in gaming that would lead the industry into a new era of interactive nirvana, you might have a point. As it is, all the things you mentioned advertise themselves as the games they are. I'm pretty sure all of them are just selling to the established base as well, but that's another problem entirely.

James